My new Dell 2405FPW - pictures & first impressions

Soldato
At the end of the day the 2405FPW does have a backlight so you are always going to "see it", I can honestly say though that the 2405FPW is far better than the 2005FPW for uninformity (I know I had about 4 2005FPW's) and is pretty much un-notitable in most situations (unless you have the eyes of a Harris Hawk)

Caporegime
Vigil said:
Anyone: what's this monitor like in a dark room playing Doom 3? Is it too bright? Can you see any backlight?

Compared to my little ADi 17" TFT, this 24" is really bad at Doom 3. The dark areas are no longer pitch black although it struck me right now that I haven't fiddled with the gamma in the ATi control panel. Maybe that would help. You can only alter brightness in Doom 3 itself and it looks crap with it on minimum.

Associate
When using dual inputs with this monitor (such as DVI for PC n Component for Xbox) is there any way to make the 2 halves fill the screen instead of having them look like they are both part of a widescreen image having black bars above and below them?

Soldato
sadly no. which is a shame as i have 2 pacs connected one via vga and main rig via dvi. i miss dual screening so much but funds atm wont allow it :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
OP
i'm afraid it would still be considered a competitor though vigil and so discussion of anywhere would not be allowed. Sorry

Soldato
Just a small question about buying this monitor. If i bought it from Overclockers and then had problems with dead pixel's or anything, would I get in touch with over clockers or have to go directly with dell?

Sorry if it's already been covered.

Oh and also, if I have to get in touch with Overclockers, what is the dead pixel policy? I read here that Dell had a 3 dead pixel policy, wondering if it was the same for Overclockers.
And could anyone tell me if there is someone else selling it with a zero dead pixel policy in the UK? Not asking for competitor names, just asking if someone does it so I can look around more.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
spoonz said:
Is that 1 to 1 pixel mapped? Is their an option on this montitor for this?

No, that was 720p and had a resolution of 1280x720 which was then stretched to 1920x1200 (1920x1080 with 120pixel border) in software (windows, gfx card, whatever does it) and output to the monitor. I run ffdshow to scale up DVDs etc using lanczos multitap method but my PC isn't quick enough to do that with a HD source.

1080i/p content can be shown 1:1 if you want it to. Obviously 720p can too but there'd just be a smaller image in the middle of the screen - buy an LCD TV if you want primarily to run HDTV with no resizing :)

Caporegime
ic1male said:
Compared to my little ADi 17" TFT, this 24" is really bad at Doom 3. The dark areas are no longer pitch black although it struck me right now that I haven't fiddled with the gamma in the ATi control panel. Maybe that would help. You can only alter brightness in Doom 3 itself and it looks crap with it on minimum.

I've fiddled with the gamma now via the ATi Tray Tools program and it actually makes the game OK now. There is little to no backlight and the dark areas really are dark. I am a happy chappy.

Associate
So tomorrow very big day. I'm bringing home my very own Dell 2405FPW, imported from Holland. Wish me luck with dead pixels/backlight because the RMA would be such a b*tch, not to mention the dissapointment and total loss of the will to live.

I'm counting down the minutes until it hits the desk.. DARN` CLOCK, MOVE IT MOVE IT!
My crappy Ti4200 is scared but excited like an old lady in a playboy.

Last edited:
Associate
It's here !!! It's really not that huge :D I got a perfect panel, all pixels healthy, no backlight issues, even a better panel than my ex-Samsung 910T, the blacks look as good but the response time is waaay better. There is a hint of trailing when you move the mouse on dark backgrounds, but then again it's no TN panel. I can live with that. Overall it's a very responsive panel.
Highly recommended.

Back with pictures later.

Associate
drupi said:
It's here !!! It's really not that huge :D I got a perfect panel, all pixels healthy, no backlight issues, even a better panel than my ex-Samsung 910T, the blacks look as good but the response time is waaay better. There is a hint of trailing when you move the mouse on dark backgrounds, but then again it's no TN panel. I can live with that. Overall it's a very responsive panel.
Highly recommended.

Ditto that (except I don't notice the trailing). I'm so relieved that there are no pixel or backlight problems :D

Only thing is I have to upgrade everything to play FEAR and Q4 at a decent quality!

PS. DooM 3 is more scary with this monitor :D

Last edited:
Associate
drupi said:
On second thought i don't think it's that huge. 3007WFP anybody? :)

I didn't think mine was that huge when I got it out of the box. I even took a tape measure to check I hadn't been sent a 20" by mistake! I guess all the hype made me think it was going to look like the size of the Great Wall Of China.

It is great playing DooM 3, though >:)

Associate
Had mine since december and have to say am really happy with it :D

had an iiyama 22inch crt before this ..... was a damn good monitor but wanted a tft and wasnt sure wether it would be any good for gaming
tbh it cant keep with my old crt but its close enough :)
the best thing is the amount of desk space i have gained :)

But after seeing the 3007WFP 30" ..... can only drool :D
all i need now is a new pc as this one is a bit vintage :(

Back
Top Bottom