**Baddass' Guide to Wireless Networking and FAQ**

Associate
If I have 2 computers side by side, and want the internet on both, how do I do it? Im a bit of a noob when it comes to all these wireless setups. All I seem to know is that you need one of those wireless network PCI cards installed in both machines

Man of Honour
OP
i assume you have the internet connection going into one of these machines then? If so, you can have it so that as long as the main machine is turned on, the second machine has access to the net through it. for this, you can use a WLAN PCI card in each one and set up an ad-hoc network. they just talk between the two of them, with the secondary PC having access to the internet through the first as if it were a host. However, if they're close together, you may be just as well hooking them up in the same way, but with wires instead of WLAN, just a bit of ethernet cable between the two machines and you can do the same thing. If you want them both to have independent connections to the internet, without relying on the main PC to be turned on, then you will need a router.

Associate
At the moment I have got a Netgear 834 ADSL/Router. As far as I can see, all I need to buy is a Ethernet card for each machine then just plug each machine in? If that is so, how difficult is it to install an Ethernet card in the first place? I wouldnt mind trying to just fit it in my machine if its simple enough?

Underboss
danceMB said:
At the moment I have got a Netgear 834 ADSL/Router. As far as I can see, all I need to buy is a Ethernet card for each machine then just plug each machine in? If that is so, how difficult is it to install an Ethernet card in the first place? I wouldnt mind trying to just fit it in my machine if its simple enough?

u dont need to buy anything, only the correct cables.

I have 3 PCs ALL with Internet access via my ADSL router

Associate
I dont think I have an ethernet card in either machine though, as the other one is several years old, and the one I have now is over 2 years old. I assumed I needed an Ethernet card before I could use my Router?

Associate
Q: Why is wireless gaming so laggy for me under Vista no matter what i try!?!

A: There are certain configuration settings with the wireless management system in Vista & with the similar system that was introduced to XP in SP2, that cause artifically induced lag spikes no matter how well your network is set up.

The work around in XP SP2 was to use disable Microsoft's ZWC service & operate with the wireless vendors provided management software. This is simply not possible with Vista however. Fortunately some clever bod made some free software that hooks into the wireless API and adjusts things so the lag spikes are gone!

This software called Vista Anti-Lag is available @ http://www.codecase.de/

Just download, install, run & 'activate VAL' for your wireless interface & if it works you only need to add it to your startup folder or just run it when you want to game/do anything latency orientated.

You may well have to swap out the wireless drivers with the ones for XP in order to get this to work properly - i most certainly had to for my linksys card. There is no guarantee this will work for you, but its worth a try. It should run under x64 also, though naturally if you need to swap out the drivers you will need appropriate signed ones to work on the system.

Soldato
great guide.

it kind of answers a question I had about Router speeds.

I have the netgear DG834GT (108Mbps) - my internet connection is 2Mbps.

so does this mean my router can handle internet connection speeds of up to 108Mbps?
or does it just mean that it can transfer raw data about at this speed (like a HDD would have a transfer rate)

One of the reasons I ask is, my work mate came in saying he has the latest Netgear RangeMax or something (300mbps).

if he was on the same 2Mbps ADSL line at his house is he going to be getting faster internet than me? (tell me no, so i can tell him :p)

Caporegime
The DG834GT has an ADSL2+ modem in it, so the fastest it could handle is 24Mbps.
It's the wireless network that runs at 108Mbps, not the internet connection.

Associate
bit old talking about b, its good history but all people will use 54mbs (22 each way ;) ) G radio standards and id hope WPA TKIP (secure enough for most homes but with vulnerability) or best AES 256bit.

speeds for 22mbs is to the power of 8 in megabytes so 2.75 mega bytes each way so max about 3.5megabytes transfer on G

id say with faster broad bands becoming now available G radio could be a bottleneck but you would need a consistent 38MBPS broadband speed! thing is streaming hd this is fast enough also (forgetting noise issues) but for large archive and file transfer its too slow

with N remember you have single stream and dual stream(band) so you can have 1 stream @ 150mbps or two antenna dual band at 300mbs. similar theory applies as it is asynchronous transfers.

they best thing you can get is 3 radio mimo 5ghz n :)

for you to see maximum speed you need the same amount of streams on your client card / usb adapter as the router

there is room in N radio for 4 or more streams with upto 980+ mbps available!

oh the reason N radio is better is due to space time block coding, spacial multiplexing, mimo technology which actually allow for signal upfade (louder clearer) when the path is distrupted MORE rather than less with current technologies. futhermore with 5ghz radio you have lots of overlapping channels and you do not have to select the best, the system is set for auto based on distance from AP and signal volume and quality.

im sure the original poster can go into huge amounts of detail and i agree adding N radio to this thread in both 2.4ghz and 5ghz descriptions is most welcome, id like clarity on how many channels there are. i thought there were 19 available in the uk with 23 in total in the global standard?

one thing is for sure n radio in its fullest intent is a massive improvement

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom