Amp n speakers problem

Associate
I have the mission 700's and the cambridge audio A1 mk3 amp and when i turn the amp up near half way i get crackleing !

How can i stop this and whats causeing it ? im guessing its my crappy bannana plugs because when i re wire them it makes it better

Also if i was to get a new amp for these speakers what do you think i should get?

Thanks

Associate
OP
whats your speaker cables...

Cat5 cables, but it happend before i had these

what interconnects you using.

if you mean banna plugs then im useing cheap plasticy ones from richer sounds

are you using a surgr protector on you mains lead

No

Associate
Originally posted by Rimm3r
whats your speaker cables...

Cat5 cables, but it happend before i had these

what interconnects you using.

if you mean banna plugs then im useing cheap plasticy ones from richer sounds

are you using a surgr protector on you mains lead

No

interconnects are the cables between your cd/pc/what ever and your amp.

Associate
I don't know these speakers or amp but is it possible use just bare wires instead of the banana plugs if you say that it gets better with rewiring?

Associate
Hi,

Don't know if you're aware aware of this but most "domestic" amps are kicking out full volume at 12 o'clock. Any thing past this point you'll just be adding distortion.

However, If this is a new problem this is what I'd do:

Strip all my speaker cable down to bare wire (bannana plugs aren't an essential) then slowly and methodically connect the speakers cables. then listen

Swap all interconncets out one by one. checking the sound at each swap.

Check your cones for any tiny tears. Damge will be more audiable and visible as the speaker is driven harder.

Try the amp in another system. if the problems are duplicated it may need a service. Often crackles and the like mean the volume pot needs cleaning.

New speaker and amp? How about a Rega Brio or Mira and some mission 771s or or a baby Cyrus?

Cheers,
Martin

Associate
OP
Thanks m8

The speakers are new.. and it happend in my last ones as well so its not them!

How much will a service cost and where can i get it done?

Soldato
make sure that all ur mains cables, interconnects +speaker cable are all away from each other+if they have to intersect, have them crossing at right angles..
that should improve thigs, because that was a problem i had..

Associate
OP
This might actually be the case because they all have to go down the same route as im at a quite small corner computer desk :/
i'll see what i can do now tbh

Associate
OP
ive got some lyeing around some where.. but i allways sort out all my cables, then i go to a lan (at least once a month) and they all get in a mess again :/

Soldato
ive got some lyeing around some where.. but i allways sort out all my cables, then i go to a lan (at least once a month) and they all get in a mess again :/
u bring ur hifi to lan?? ;)
j/k lol.. try and amke sure that Hifi stays seaparate..

Associate
OP
Ok ive rewired all the cables without bannanan plugs and ive crossed all the cables that are crossing other cables at a right angle its working fine now untill you get near to 12 o clock, so thanks for all the help, and i hope this lasts! :D

Soldato
Ok ive rewired all the cables without bannanan plugs and ive crossed all the cables that are crossing other cables at a right angle its working fine now untill you get near to 12 o clock, so thanks for all the help, and i hope this lasts! :D
cool
remember, no lans! ;)

Associate
glad you got it sorted. Definately sounds like something wasn't connected properley Pesonally I hate trekking down to repair shops! Happy listening...

Still your comments about 12 o'clock do sound like you need a beefier amp?
Martin

Last edited:
Soldato
Originally posted by martink
glad you got it sorted. Definately sounds like something was connected properley Pesonally I hate trekking down to repair shops! Happy listening...

Still your comments about 12 o'clock do sound like you need a beefier amp?
Martin
the only amp i know that can go past 12 oclock+all the way to 3 o'clock with no distortion is my dads meridian 101 pre+2x105 power amps.. they're lovely!

Back
Top Bottom