Is OcUK your mirror?

Soldato
1) Would many of your questions go unanswered?
Not really, because I don't tend to turn to the forums for advice unless it's photographic. I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot better off though, because I wouldn't have spent so much on cameras.

2) Would you be more lonely?
Well I wouldn't have a Leon, and that would suck big time. However, I would still have the same amount of friends, just in different places. They probably wouldn't be as such high quality as the friends I've met here though :)

3) Would you understand yourself less, or be less confident?
Neither of these issues would be affected.

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:

nope

nope ive learnt to live without ocuk for mosymy unnecesary posting n personal life lol

3) Would you understand yourself less, or be less confident?'

not at all

Soldato
I'd certainly be less educated in some areas, although most of what I read on here is just trivia ;)

I'd probably end up quite bored a lot of the time, as I do spend a lot of time at home just browsing the forums and reading threads, although I tend not to post.

Other than that, I don't think my life would be all that different. :)

Wise Guy
Permabanned
cleanbluesky said:

The question is. How would your life change without OcUK?
I'd find another forum.

cleanbluesky said:
Suppose you weren't able to cram the collective advice and experience, the random thoughts and slices of humour into your life in one quick, selective and easy to digest manner...

I'd guess .... none.

cleanbluesky said:
Erm ...... nope.

cleanbluesky said:
You're pulling our wotsits, right?

There are some good people here, but (to me at least) it's just a forum, and there isn't exactly a shortage of fora. I find the notion that a forum engenders confidence rather sad and, if it's actually the case, would suggest that some people may be spending too much time online.

Permabanned
1) No, because there are many other internet forums I'd pester people on instead :D

2) I have to say I'm one of those people who doesn't really connect people I talk (or argue ;) ) with online with actually friends. So my answer is no, although I suppose I would miss certain "personalities"

3) Probably the opposite to be honest. Because people don't know you on internet forums, they are more likely to give you honest opinions about yourself, your views and your abilities better than real life friends.

Man of Honour
This thread wasn't quite what I was expecting, I thought it was going to be more along the lines of people using the forums as a way of posing, and/or checking their standing within the world.

Anyway, as regards the questions, I'd have to answer no to all three of them. Most of my questions could be answered elsewhere (other forums etc), there better ways of reducing loneliness (I don't really use these forums for the social aspect), and if anything my confidence might be enhanced by spending less time here.

In essence this forum just happens to be where I've ended up but it could be easily replaced by others should it come to an end - one reason why I would never pay subs or whatever.

Man of Honour
cleanbluesky said:

no
no
no

Some people overestimate the effect these forums have.

Soldato
No
No
No

You do pick up some good information especially in the HD section but i could easily get any information i need on google anyway, thats the first thing someone posts "google is your friend". I dont think id be lonely without OCUK i only ever go on forums when I'm bored or while I'm waiting for something to download etc.

Mark

Man of Honour
No
Yes
Yes

I'm not ashamed to say that OcUK meets have done a lot for my self-confidence, not to mention actually having a few decent friends now. Still got a hell of a long way to go yet, but it's a start. :)

Soldato
Nope tbh i only really ask technical questions, and hang about motors, i doubt my life would change that much without ocuk, but i know its certainly a little bit more fulfilled lmao on a daily basis to various threads.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
These forums seems to play a big part in some people's lives. I come here for laughs and to communicate with people who have shared interests. It doesn't shape my life in any way (I used to spend hundreds on PC equipment just to gain some more 3dmarks, but I think that's it), and it doesn't teach me anything about myself. Like a few others, I just seemed to end up posting here, if circumstances were different it would be somewhere else. I enjoy the crack but, since losing interest in tinkering with PC's, there's less here for me than there used to be.

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Berserker said:
No
Yes
Yes

I'm not ashamed to say that OcUK meets have done a lot for my self-confidence, not to mention actually having a few decent friends now. Still got a hell of a long way to go yet, but it's a start. :)
That's pretty much how I feel. :)
Although I would hope that I would have found the self confidence elsewhere if I hadn't come across these forums because I know I was getting there beforehand. Guess the meets were just a bit of a crash course in it :p

Soldato
if there was no OcUK i would have got mostly A's in my GCSE instead of B's and this year i would have finished my computing coursework last week,at the moment im nowhere near finished :( because im just to busy reading interesting threads on here :p

Soldato
cleanbluesky said:

yes but i would have sought other ways of getting what i wanted to know

cleanbluesky said:
i log on to eleviate boredom while at work mainly. I'll log on in the evenings to follow up on the threads which I posted in if i get time. i try to avoid posting my personal/intimate issues (although there was this one time...). I wouldnt say I would be more lonely without it. Would I be more lonely assumes i'm lonely in the first place. Anyway, I'd say no - I live in a houseshare with some really great housemates and have some good mates both online and in the real world who are not associated with the forums.

cleanbluesky said:
No, i dont think so. portraying true confidence when youre sat behind a screen is difficult as people do tend to adopt a persona and become someone theyre not. would I be any less confident in the real world? I'd say no

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I Dunno what i'd do. I know that I wouldn't know 0.999r = 1.
But i'd still know that if you cut a sandwich into 2 halves, its still one sandwich. :p

Back
Top Bottom