Laundrettes that shrink clothes

Suspended
FFS :mad:

Just brought back a load of shirts and things from the laundrette. I pay an extra quid for a service so I don't have to sit there for half a day and what do they do to dry my clothes? Set the drying machine to "bake" for 3 hours thats what :rolleyes:

Does anyone else get this :mad: ? I'm a big guy and I'm trying to lose weight, but whenever they do this its like I've taken a step back as my clothes barely fit me ffs :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Amp34 said:
If it was their incompetence why not complain and tell them you want the money for some new shirts or something?

Agreed - your shirts should have instructions on them of some sort. If they've ignored them (the fact that your shirts have shrunk probably prove this) then surely you can at least ask for your money back?

We recently had a dryer put in upstairs in our house and I've accidently lost a few pairs of trousers in the same manner, i.e. putting the heat on too high.

Last edited:
Soldato
You've no chance of getting any form of compensation.

Every laundrette I've been in has a notice/disclaimer saying they accept no responsibility for clothes damaged or lost in their machines.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
BrenOS said:
You've no chance of getting any form of compensation.

Every laundrette I've been in has a notice/disclaimer saying they accept no responsibility for clothes damaged or lost in their machines.
Absolutely wrong.

Chronos paid for a service.

A launderette can absolve itself from liability for things taken if you leave them unattended, but if you're paying them for a service they not only cannot disclaim responsibility for their own incompetence and/or negligence but to to display a notice attempting to do so would be illegal.

A friend of mine had exactly that happen recently. A cashmere coat was dry cleaned and they somehow managed to melt the buttons into the coat. The shop said "not responsible, and pointed to the sign". She said "good luck with that line, see you in court", handed them her business card and turned to leave. She's a barrister. She got as far as the door.

One new coat later ... :D

Soldato
Thats one thing I've never understood fully, Sequoia

I understand thay you can't just dis-claim liability for something that is your fault, but can such notices act as a warning and thus be carrying out your duty of care?

Imagine a building site, surely the notice 'dangerous site, enter at your own risk' or something to that effect also acts as a warning, if it was shortened to 'enter at your own risk' it'd still be implying that the site was dangerous, just not as clear.

Sorry, for taking the thread way off topic... :o

Back
Top Bottom