Waxoyl - Where to buy?

Soldato
Anyone have any idea where I can get this?

Halfords don't seem to sell it and I can't think of anywhere else that does.

I had a look on the bay and there were a few items, not many though.

Cheers.

Last edited:

M0T

M0T

Soldato
I got a can of waxoyl in halfords on thursday, maybe you should get them to check the top shelf for you? :p

Soldato
OP
Oh cheers guys. I'll check Halfords tomorrow then :)

My local Halfords (Rochdale) don't have anything. I went in to buy a paint brush, some polishing rags and some electrical tape yesterday... they didn't have any of them in :mad:

Mic said:
Most excellent. Gotta get some of that.

Absolutely :) No point me sorting the rust on the outside, if it's only going to keep coming back in the future.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Yep.

You spray/coat the inside of the a sill (for example) and it cures rust on contact. :)

Very useful stuff.

I'm not sure if you are joking but I didnt see a ;) :eek:

You know that waxoyl just acts as a barrier? Its purely preventative - ie you spray it on the underside of the car/engine bay etc and it stops road crap (and importantly air) getting to the metal. In no way whatsoever will it help to cure rust which is already there. You need to sort the rust out properly and then underseal it which will help to prevent its return.

To be honest I've only found its useful when applied to cars from new, or at least before its done much mileage/damage.

Soldato
My 'frauds do it well. As mentioned, it doesn't cure existing rust, just prevents rust forming (hopefully).

Has to be sprayed onto bone-dry surfaces though, otherwise all you do is trap moisture underneath and rusts out like a ...well. Proverbial bad thing.

Had some instances where waxoyl has been sprayed at one point and not completely covered. For some reason, the uncovered areas are much more active rust wise. :confused:

Soldato
OP
Sorry, that's what I meant. :)

Wow, if there was a product that magically turned rust back into solid metal we'd all be saved.

Anyway, went to the Halfords near my dads' today and they had several sizes of the stuff. I just bought a spray can, along with several other bits and bobs...

Came to £45 in total :eek:

Ah well, hopefully if the weather is good tomorrow, I can get started.

Soldato
Sagalout said:
I'm not sure if you are joking but I didnt see a ;) :eek:

You know that waxoyl just acts as a barrier? Its purely preventative - ie you spray it on the underside of the car/engine bay etc and it stops road crap (and importantly air) getting to the metal. In no way whatsoever will it help to cure rust which is already there. You need to sort the rust out properly and then underseal it which will help to prevent its return.

To be honest I've only found its useful when applied to cars from new, or at least before its done much mileage/damage.
well they are doing the false advertising bit then as im looking at the can now and it says "kills old rust"

Soldato
ShakenNstirred said:
well they are doing the false advertising bit then as im looking at the can now and it says "kills old rust"

Yes then they are. You cant kill rust - rust is the oxidisation of metal. Only way you can deal with it properly is to remove it - ie cut it out and replace with good metal. However rust cannot take hold without air, and thats what waxoyl does - if applied properly it stops air getting to the good metal.

Back
Top Bottom