• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

New card

Man of Honour
It depends on what your budget is but I'd suggest either an X1800XT at ~£170 for a 256mb version which gets you performance on a par with a 7800GTX and in some cases better. If you care to spend a bit more then ~£310 gets you an X1900XT 512mb which is a fantastic card and very powerful :)

Man of Honour
OP
its an open budget i have as much as i need to spend... a few people have said to me now that the ati cards are beating the nvidia oneshands down. ive always had nvidia but im open to a change actually, whats the best x1900 out and *** brand is best? ive not had an ati since a 9700

cant really hold on this is for my second system which is part built and ive been meaning to get going for a while now

Soldato
If you got an open budget the x1900XTx along with the 7900GTX are the best of the lost so far. Pick one, and start to use them if you feel the need to get somethink new.

Associate
ichabod crane said:
its an open budget i have as much as i need to spend...

i despise people like you :D . x1900xt-x or 7900gtx is your best bet. Though as someone rightfully said, a 7800gt will play most games maxed out. It may be worthwhile waiting till the next-gen cards are released. Thats what im going to do anyway.

Associate
In terms of performamce they are pretty much neck-a-neck. They is nothing that one can play with any given settings that the other can't. The X1900s are cheaper though and they support sm3.0 HDR+AA which the 7900gtx don't do. The X1900s though are more power hungry and generally louder; this doesn't bother most people (as long as they have a power supply that can handle either) but it does bother some. Neither overclock very far though, maybe 5-10% with either card.

If I were building from scratch i'd probably go ATI at the moment. Actually to be honest i'd get a 7900gt512 and overclock the nuts off it. If it volt-mods like the 256 version it'll probably get too 7900gtx XXX speeds or more.

Man of Honour
OP
cool well ive just read a few reviews and the ati's are appealing to me so i think im gonna get an x1900xtx and im thinking sapphire are looking pretty top brand for them. so thanks guys

Associate
I just installed my new Sapphire X1900XT-X yesterday and am very impressed.
As for noise, you only hear it for first 3-5 seconds when booting up, then it slows down - can't hear it over CPU fan.
Temps so far seem to be round about 38-42C on idle + 60-75 load in running
3DMark or gaming (this is with side of case on) so no great worries with those temps.
:D

Man of Honour
OP
okimanoob said:
I just installed my new Sapphire X1900XT-X yesterday and am very impressed.
As for noise, you only hear it for first 3-5 seconds when booting up, then it slows down - can't hear it over CPU fan.
Temps so far seem to be round about 38-42C on idle + 60-75 load in running
3DMark or gaming (this is with side of case on) so no great worries with those temps.
:D

sounds good, thats quite a warm running card though mine will be on water anyways :)

Back
Top Bottom