21 years old, want a bike!

Permabanned
Hi guys,

Im looking for a little advice please.

Im a 21 year old male and ive had a full manual car licence since the age of 17.

Now im looking to move onto bikes.

Could anyone possibly give me a pointer on the kind of course i need to go on please.

Jon

Permabanned
OP
Vanilla said:
The first question regarding bikes is always...........

.....will your parents let you?

They dont want me to, but ive got my own house/ company car so my life etc.

A valid question for most my age though.

Jon

Soldato
First up you'll need your CBT, there will be a 'rider training' type place near you, just need to find them and get the costs, they'll let you hire a bike and all equipment, at a cost of around £90-120 ish

Once you've got your CBT then you are able to ride a restricted 'learner legal' 125cc motorbike, on L Plates. You won't be allowed on motorways or to carry a pillion passenger

You can just 'skip' that stage though, book your Theory and then do your Direct Access test, not sure on how much the theory costs but not a huge amount, the Direct Access itself will be £500+ including equipment hire, and that several days...

Once you've got your Direct Access you can ride any motorbike (seeing as you're 21 you skip the restricted phase), however obviously a 1000cc sports bike probably isn't the most sensible first bike :p

Some rider training places will do the CBT and Direct Access in one combined week long intensive course.

Last thing to note really is equipment, you're talking a good couple of hundred for 'cheap' stuff, the more expensive stuff gets very expensive (£400 for a helmet for example), but it's worth getting decent stuff

Hope that helps, i'm 21 (almost 22) and did my CBT last september, recently bought a 125 to commute to and from work with (63mpg \o/) and hope to do my direct access later in the year and either derestrict my current bike for a tiny bit extra power or buy a VFR400 depends how much money i have :p

jmp

jmp

Associate
Your best bet is a 400, cheaper to insure than big bikes but are still very quick. ZXR400's are by far the best 400, do not listen to CBR (baby blade) owners because if you look at them you know they are rubbish and the performance isn't any better either.

Funnily enough, I have a 1993 ZXR400 for sale!!! Check the ad-mag this saturday. I'm 2mins off J28 of the M1.

Associate
Check insurance first, some companies won't insure anything more than a 250 unless you're over 25. In fact, some companies have deliberately increased their rates to price themselves out of the market. Norwich Union was one and the CIS increased their rates, until that time they were pretty cheap, just to avoid getting loads of NU cast offs.

Soldato
Shootist said:
Check insurance first, some companies won't insure anything more than a 250 unless you're over 25. In fact, some companies have deliberately increased their rates to price themselves out of the market. Norwich Union was one and the CIS increased their rates, until that time they were pretty cheap, just to avoid getting loads of NU cast offs.

Sorry but what?? You will have no problem getting insurance on a 600 (or larger) It might not be cheap but getting it will be ok .
I am in the get a decent bike camp...why have to get some basic pos bike when for similiar money you can get a nice 600/750 .

Get yer tests done and when you pas yer DAS get another 2 days rider training and get the best gear (that fits you !) .

Persil

Soldato
Shootist said:

Ive had quotes on R6's, CBR600's and various other 600cc sports bikes at 21 having only just passed my test, all well under £1000 too.

Back
Top Bottom