Strange ABS/Braking problem

Man of Honour
About a week ago I noticed when starting my Puma that the ABS and TC dash warning lights didn't go out. I checked the handbook and it didn't seem a serious issue, so I thought I'd get pumabuild to check it out as I had my car booked in anyway for other work. Some days they went out, others they stayed on - was random.

On the way to PB this morning, about 20 minutes after leaving I noticed an odd problem when braking. The first time there was a fairly loud mechanical cluck/grinding noise and then on and off when I breaked, the pedal would almost push against me or prevent me breaking fully. I could also hear a quiet motor noise (bit like washer motor noise but not as loud), which came and went every so often.

Pulled over and took a look but couldn't see any problems. Just taken it to a local garage who are looking at it now.

Sounds like the ABS sensor is faulty or something? Is this a common problem on Fords at all? Was a little worrying when driving it back to a garage with dodgy breaks :o

Permabanned
Its not Vacum related. What you felt was your ABS kicking in.

If the TC and or ABS light is on then its a sensor. You may think this is quite cheap to replace, but if (like is so often the case) the sensor is built into the Hub, then you'll have to replace the Hubs which 'cost a small fortune'

Diagnostics will tell you which sensor is playing up

Man of Honour
OP
Yep was faulty sensor in one of the front breaks. They are changing it out now.. ~£200 :( They said there was no real reason for it going faulty, just one of those things.

Permabanned
Duke said:
Yep was faulty sensor in one of the front breaks. They are changing it out now.. ~£200 :( They said there was no real reason for it going faulty, just one of those things.

is it a dealer!? if not, get them to save the part number for the other side. Reason for this is, its likely that the other side could go in 12 months. as they are the same part number, persuade them replace the part (under its parts 12month warranty) therefore getting one for free.

I hope that makes sense.....

Back
Top Bottom