PC cards

Soldato
hi, just wondering if there are differente vertions of PC cards? like there is for USB (1.1 / 2) and if there IS are they backwards/forwards compatable?

Man of Honour
This is pretty much from memory but I think we have been at PCI specification v3 for quite a while now which is the old type and then of course there is the newest PCI-E(PCI-Express) which offers much greater throughput and power. There is also PCI-X but that is mainly for servers and you are unlikely to come across these cards unless you are looking specifically.

If that isn't what you are asking then could you clarify a bit further :)

//edit here is the standards website.

Don
Version 1 supported only memory
Version 2 supported 16bit transfers
Version 5 supported 32bit transfers

Type 1 2 and 3 refer to the size of the card. Type 1 being the smallest and type 3 the largest.

All are backwards compatible so you can fit a Version 2 type 1 card in a Version 5 type 3 slot.

The latest notebooks with the Intel Core-Duo CPU have Express Card slots. These are not backwards compatible with PCMCIA.

Man of Honour
Ok, as far as I am aware they are backwards/forwards compatible insofar as there is only one standard although some cards are dual height so it is only the thickness that varies and as long as you have a high enough slot you can use the card. The PCMCIA specifications website is here.

//edit Ah Rilot knows a lot more about this than I do :)

Back
Top Bottom