Going to my girlfriends 6th year prom.

Associate
OP
Bar said:
Had my 6th year prom about 8 years ago (God thats depressing) and like you opted for the Kilt (as did 90% of the year)

Don't wear boxers, traditional not to and why wear a kilt unless you are following a tradition. One point of warning though, slightly inebriated I plonked myself on a bench legs spread wide as I normally sit. Unfortunately I forgot to tuck my kilt down in the middle and ended up with pictures of me + kilt + tackle exposed around the school. Lesson learned.

As for what to buy, something special like a necklace with matching bracelet and ear-rings, corsage etc. Don't make it big and cumbersome like a huge bunch of flowers - she will have no where to put one.

Have a cracking night out - where are you going?

Oh and is it St Margarets, Inveralmond, James Young, West Calder or Deans?

she goes to deans. and the proms being held at the cairn hotel in edinburgh i think. you from around livi i take it?

Soldato
marcus25 said:
she goes to deans. and the proms being held at the cairn hotel in edinburgh i think. you from around livi i take it?
Yaarrr (no idea why im making pirate noises but i am) my prom is at the Balmorral at the east end i saw the shoes i want today :) it made me happy.

Associate
OP
YAAAAARRRR rite back at ye!

im looking forward to it, but for all those out there that know about these things, my girlfriends going to the prom wearing a light gold coloured dress, so what tartan would be best to compliment it?

Soldato
marcus25 said:

im looking forward to it, but for all those out there that know about these things, my girlfriends going to the prom wearing a light gold coloured dress, so what tartan would be best to compliment it?
Surely ye be having ye clan tartan laddy!

Associate
OP
my family doesnt have there own tartan. i was thinkin of using my dads old regimental tartan of the argyll's and sutherland highlanders. its very important to my family as my dad, his 2 brothers and my grandad and were all in the same regiment.

Soldato
marcus25 said:

No idea my dress is red :)
I'd guess green would go quite nicely, as long as it was a dark green. You could ask your girlfriend to go with you to help you pick she knows best.

Soldato
marcus25 said:
my family doesnt have there own tartan. i was thinkin of using my dads old regimental tartan of the argyll's and sutherland highlanders. its very important to my family as my dad, his 2 brothers and my grandad and were all in the same regiment.
If it would make your family proud then wear that. I can't see it mattering if you tartan matches the dress to be honest, it's not an episode of 'What not to wear' :)

Associate
OP
hmm another thing, bow tie, or that funny lookin silk tie thing? i think the other kind of tie, dont know what the name is obviously, looks a lot better. but i dont know. opinions?

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Go for a Blackwatch tartan, it's easily available and looks the business.

blackwatch.jpg

I've no idea if that will compliment your missus' dress, she can easily wear a different one if not. ;)

Sem

Sem

Soldato
do women up in Scotland actually find kilts sexy/attractive :confused:

had a couple of Scots down in a London club full kilts and all :D

Associate
Sem said:
do women up in Scotland actually find kilts sexy/attractive :confused:

had a couple of Scots down in a London club full kilts and all :D

Not just women in Scotland, girls from all over love them, wore one to a wedding in Italy and I was beating them off! American girls love them too.

If it’s a hire kilt I would wear a pair of boxers, you never know who was wearing it before you. If its your own then true Scotsman all the way!

Sem

Sem

Soldato
richyfingers said:
Not just women in Scotland, girls from all over love them, wore one to a wedding in Italy and I was beating them off! American girls love them too.

If it’s a hire kilt I would wear a pair of boxers, you never know who was wearing it before you. If its your own then true Scotsman all the way!

guess they can have their advantages without boxers

especially if you where beating them off ;)

Caporegime
richyfingers said:

I have a kilt, and any time I've worn it, it's got a lot of attention. Wore it to my cousin's wedding and almost upstaged the groom, as everyone was well into it. Some Dutch couple kept taking pics of me, it was crazy. At my end of uni ball, there were quite a lot of people wearing kilts, but people still took notice. Bit weird having a South African lad grab my arse to see if I was going traditional, but there you go!

My wife loves men in kilts, so was well made up that I got married in one. More recently, my brother has started going out with a girl who also loves kilts, so she wants him to borrow mine one time. Might let him, so long as he takes care of it and doesn't get goodness knows what on it :eek:

Associate
OP
well, not long to go to the prom now, got a few things sorted, ive got the limo booked. and got my kilt, going in flower of scotland tartan with blue bonny prince charlie jacket and waistecoat

untitled7yw.png

still to get her corsage (sp?)

gonna take her out for a nice meal this friday coming then going out for a meal with her mum and dad the wednesday after next *scared* then got the prom on the thursday then big party at her house on the saturday. should be a good next couple of weeks. will post pics from the prom when i get them :)

Back
Top Bottom