Firefox and Quicktime

Associate
I have a LOT of problems with Firefox crashing on web pages that display embedded Quicktime movies. It seems from a quick search on Google that it's a well known problem but I don't find any solutions.

Anyone know if there is a solution as it's getting quite annoying now as I visit a fair number of sites that use QuickTime?

I'm almost beginning to wonder if there's an element of "the emperors new clothes" to Firefox in that it's far more trouble in general than IE6 ever was for me and on several PCs. It will hang and/or consume vast amounts of memory quite regularly. This sort of thing has been around since I first used Firefox (v1.02) and nothing much has changed.

Tempted to give Opera another try !

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Never any crashes here at all.

roblems usually occur when people install 3rd part codecs etc that mess up and conflicts start to come about.

See what you haveinstalled etc.

install Quicktime 7 and update it, liekwise with realplayer 10 gold.

Use CUSTOM install opyions to turn off associations of file types so they dont change anything for anything else but their own formats.

Easy stuff and ALL real/quicktime files work flawlessly.

Associate
OP
Thanks mrk,

I've already done a fair amount of checking what's installed although I probably don't have the very latest version of QT7. Currently have 7.03 so I should probably update that. I don't use Realplayer.

The worst things about the crashes is that they are not always repeatable. Firefox will crash and then I go straight back to the same page and the QT movie plays fine.

Back
Top Bottom