Miners Trapped underground for 8 days still alive!

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Down here in Oz there was a mine collapse. 3 miners got trapped, they found one on the 2nd or 3rd day but he was crushed to death.
The other 2 managed to get into a saftey cage and survive. They found that they were alive on about the 6th day which is a mirricle to survive with out anything underground for that long.
Its now they 8th day and they have started to drill a whole big enough to so they can get out but that will take 2 more days.
Heres an article, its not a very good one but you will see some of the details in it.

Rescuers ready to drill toward trapped miners
A rescue team is entering the final stages of an operation to recover two miners trapped for eight days in a Tasmanian gold mine.

Brant Webb and Todd Russell have been trapped almost one kilometre underground since a rock fall last Tuesday, which killed their colleague, Larry Knight.

Efforts to rescue them had been put on hold by the need to wait until a concrete base poured for a raise borer set.

Mine manager Matthew Gill says the large drill brought in for the job is 12 to 16 metres away from the pair.

He expects drilling to begin "by the time I've finished this media conference".

Mr Gill also says there is a minimal risk of seismic activity during tunnelling.

Paramedic Matthew Easthen says the trapped men are conscious of possible vibrations.

"They've requested some protective eye wear, [and] some disposable face masks," he said.

Mr Easthen also says the men are confident the rescue will be completed.

The process is expected to take at least 48 hours.

Endurance

Prime Minister John Howard says the survival the two men is a story of endurance and courage.

Mr Howard says he hopes Mr Webb and Mr Russell are rescued in time to play football at the weekend, as they have joked.

"Everybody is with you mate and we're all working together and we're all hoping and praying and we're determined that we're going to get you up," he said.

Mr Howard also says his thoughts are also with the family of Mr Knight.

"A wonderful act of mateship in that family postponing his funeral so that his mates can be there," he said.

"I think that's a wonderful expression of the Australian spirit."

Interstate support

A letter of support from Broken Hill, where there has been hard rock mining for more than a century, has been sent to the community of West Tamar.

Mayor Ron Page says Broken Hill has had the same experience and understands the emotions the community must be feeling.

He says it is important to show Broken Hill's support.

"We have always shown support for other mining communities all around the world," he said.

"It is an industry that people give their life to to produce the product and I think all miners around the world should be treated with a lot more respect.

"They spend a lifetime underground producing the wealth for the nation."

Entertainment
Rescuers are able to communicate with Mr Webb and Mr Russell and have been able to pass them food and dry clothes through a small hole.

The men have also been given digital music players and magazines to help pass the time.

But Mr Webb's father, John, says that will not be the only entertainment going on in their cage.

"I reckon Brant will tell him a few jokes, he'll still be telling jokes in seven days I reckon, but he'd be sick of Brant telling him jokes," he said.

Mr Easthen says care is being taken of the men's mental health while the rescue continues.

"We have general conversations with them," he said.

"They have high points and some low points."

Medical coordinator Bob Holton says the men are well-prepared for what is expected to be another two-day wait.

"They can stay here as long as we keep the nutrition and the appropriate fluid intake, they can stay down there for a long time," he said.

Mr Holton says the men may be well enough to crawl out.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
:eek:
Excellent news that they have made contact.
I can't think of a lot worse than being trapped underground. Mining is one job I have never fancied at all.
Heres hoping for a speedy big hole dig.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
malc30 said:
:eek:
Excellent news that they have made contact.
I can't think of a lot worse than being trapped underground. Mining is one job I have never fancied at all.
Heres hoping for a speedy big hole dig.

They have just got the concrete in the ground and are waiting for it to set atm.

They are in a cramped little cage and cant even stand up to strech their legs :eek:

Zip

Zip

Soldato
OP
malc30 said:
Been on my mind since reading the thread mate.
I cannot imagine what they are going through only wish them a speedy exit and recovery.

If you want to keep upto date with it just type in "trapped miners" in google news.
Ill try keep this post upto date aswell.
They are in remarkably good spirits aparently.

Soldato
What's with all the trapped miners lately? There is a very similar story in our news right now - 2 alive, 1 dead. They got a pipe down there for food and water until they can finish digging them out.

But this is like the 10th incident I've heard about in the last 2 months! :eek:

Back
Top Bottom