High volts on core but no Bios feature

Soldato
Hi Im currently setting up my mates computer, here's the spec for ease:

CPU: AMD 1800
Mobo: Biostar M7VIP (?)
Ram: 512 Elixir

Im having a few issues though (as usual). I have everything installed and running SP2 stable, however the temps get a little high. Its idling now at 42degrees and the volts sit at 1.72. I thought this was a little high? There is no option in the Bios to alter the volts and I assume this is the main reason its running so hot? I have no knowledge of this board but it appears to have a few overclocking options with the ram and cpu. I would have thought there would be an option to alter the volts, is the board flashable?

Thanks in advance

CP

Soldato
OP
I see now that 1.75 is stock volts for pally's, which I assume this chip is. I'm going to have to improve the cooling setup I think. The heatsink is cack and the fan is a 60mm noisy little thing.

Soldato
OP
Ah I must be overreacting then because Im used to 25degrees idle on mine :)

Another thing though, Im running a single stick of 512 DDR400 although the board is only 333. This shouldn't cause any problem though??
We also have a spare stick of 256, would it be possible to stick it in the 2nd or 3rd slot?

Ta

Soldato
42 at idle is fine as I think the Palomino's weren't as advanced as current A64 CPU when idling, when I had a XP setup I had a top of the line Alpha PAL cooler and that never got the CPU much cooler than 40C

PC3200 (DDR400) memory can run slower just fine, you might even have the chance of running slightly lower/faster timings.

Back
Top Bottom