Hmmmn...Windows x64ED

Soldato
I was looking through the windows installation cd's available after I noticed that XP Home and Pro were on this week only and noticed this under XP x64 edition:

N.B. Users with 2gb RAM or higher should notice a substantial performance boost on a properly configured 64-bit system.
So I was basically wanting to know if it's true or not and what does OcUK consider as a properly configured system?

Soldato
I myself have had no issues at all with games, and even DOS ones work just fine.

Some apps like Partition Magic dont fully work, nor does Page DeFrag which is one app I like, and also O&O DeFrag too, btu I DLed the Beta 64 Bit version and that seems to work perfectly with my Serial number, so thats fine, Some drivers for TV Cards, USB Modems, and scanners may be an issue, but other than that, it seems fine.

I will say one thing thats really bugged me.

My first go at XP64 was by downloading the trial version... At the time I could not find drivers for my BT Voyager 105, ( Stopping me searching for anythign on the net ) and my IDE Card ( ITE8212 ) and this stopped any access to my drivers and games folders, but what I did manage to get running on it, I found the system to be veryquick indeed... Much more so than on XP32.

Now, just about Jan this year I splashed out on *** full jobbiue as I know I have drivers for my IDE Card, and I am now using a router and the modem no longer an issue, btu now, I dotn see any performance boost like I did before?

Why?

I have also compared 1GB RAM against 2GB, and there is no difference in speed at all, so unless you need masses of apps all running and taking up masses of RAM, I dont know, but for general use, there is no difference.

You dont need XP64 unless you have to... I think it will be a quick fad that will quickly drop out of fashion as soon as Vista comes out.

Caporegime
Well yes, when Vista comes out XP x64 will quickly drop by the wayside as people will likely upgrade to Vista x64. So the 64-bit computing won't go away, it will only get stronger.

Back
Top Bottom