Best Multi tool Sog or Leatherman?

Soldato
This is probably a long shot with this being a computer forum but I'm after a multi tool and cant decide on a Leartherman XTI or a Sog Powerlock. Would be great to hear from anyone who has both or anyone who has the above multi tools.

Leatherman

SOG Multi tool

Here are the 2 i have in mind.

TIA

Mark

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Never heard of SOG but the Leathermans are indestructible and used by EVERYONE in the special effects industry when working on location. They are simply the handiest one out of the lot and all of the tools have a use and fit something.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
The_blue said:
Having played with em both i'd say leather.

Well no, I'd say neither, get a proper kit :)
Like what?, if you mean a proper pair of pliers and a proper knife i already have them, I'm working as a joiner at the moment so have all the industrial tools i need. Its mainly going to be used for odd jobs and just because i want a new gadget :D .

Mark

Soldato
I got my Leatherman PST II (Pocket Survival Tool) eons ago and it's been bombproof. Work or play, it's either on my belt or in my rucksack as an essential piece of kit to have on me.

I think you can send the Leatherman's off for a sharpen and service as part of the warranty.

Soldato
OP
Can you flick the Leathermans open with one hand?, as the SOG does this, sounds like a pretty useful feature, not to mention would look cool :) .

Mark

Associate
MarkA- yeah, you can open it with one hand. Bit of an art though. Gerbers are easier to do that with though.

Jonny69- look on ebay for leathermans, they're pretty cheap from the US (£40 for one which is £90 here). I had a copy and the difference between the two in build quality etc is insane.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Mark A said:
Can you flick the Leathermans open with one hand?, as the SOG does this, sounds like a pretty useful feature, not to mention would look cool :) .

Mark
Yeah man, mine flicks open like a chunky butterfly knife ready for me to look all badman with my pliers...

MuvverRussia said:
Jonny69- look on ebay for leathermans, they're pretty cheap from the US (£40 for one which is £90 here). I had a copy and the difference between the two in build quality etc is insane.
Yeah I know, but I keep leaving them places and the real ones get expensive after a while. Actually I haven't lost one for ages, it might be time.

Last edited:
Commissario
I've got a couple of Leathermans (Leathermen?) and I absolutely love them. My older one is now part of my shooting kit and goes in my range bag with me and the other is a general tool that I keep handy.

Old one is a Wave and the new one is a Charge (I think).

K.

Associate
I've got two Leathermen and love them, but I got my Dad a Victorinox Swiss Army one as it was recommended by a guy in a very nice tool shop. It has the advantage that the blades open from the inside so that they can't shut on your fingers while cutting if the catch doesn't hold. Cost about the same as one of the decent Leatherman tools.

Soldato
I have a battered old Wave,that I use pretty much every day, and a Leatherman Micra. Mrs. t also has a Leatherman Squirt S4 she carries around in her handbag, so I'd have to say Leatherman :)

I also bought my daughter's boyfriend one of the new model Waves for Christmas :D

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I have three Leathermans; a Micra on my keyring, a Juice in my cutlery draw and a Wave at work. I got the Wave from www.leathermans.co.uk. They do free engraving and postage on orders over £30. For a bit more cash I got the screwdriver attachment and bits which fix onto the top of the tool itself, all together in a leather belt pouch. Also, someone already said it but you can send Leathermans off and get them cleaned and sharpened under warranty. Can't say I've ever heard of SOG.

Edit: Just found an old pic from the last thread we had on this.

Last edited:
Soldato
SOG are a great brand, but for that style of multi-tool I'd go for the leatherman or the victorinox Swiss tool.

Remember, our knife laws are rather strict, if you're going to carry a knife it has to be a sub 3 inch non-locking folder (due to Harris v DPP any blade that locks is classed as a fixed blade) which rules out quite a few leatherman and other similar multi-tools.

David

Soldato
Leatherman. I bought a multitool thing at about the same time as my dad got given a Leatherman which was almost identical. Mine had rotted away in a pool of rust while his was still as new.

Back
Top Bottom