What do you class as a performance car?

Soldato
Not wanting to derail the RS crash thread I would start another as it got me thinking and thought it would be a good discussion

Probably get flamed and don't get me wrong I do like the RS a lot coming from the old Excort RS days but it doesn't sit well with me refering to them as a performance car, they are a (very) hot hatch

Not sure where I would draw the line and start putting cars into the "performance" class to be honest? I don't think any FWD car could ever be a "performance" car in my book. Maybe a car that is made to be the best performing vehical as its key value with only slight consession to cost may be a factor?

For example (list not exclusive and just as an idea)

Performance cars would be

M series BMWs
AMG Mercs
Scoobys (STIs etc not the non turbos )
Evos
Porsche 911 (maybe not boxter)
Tuned Jap cars Skyline, RX7s etc
RS4
NSX

everyday "sports cars"
Focus RS / ST
FTO
ASTRA VRX
Mondey ST220
MX5
TYPE Rs
S4

The exotic things like ferraris' Lambos and high end porkers would fall under supercars obviously.

That just me or anyone else thought this or have a good definition of what they feel makes a true performance car? as it is very subjective.

Steve

Soldato
I don't think you can rule out FWD cars...Plenty of examples of Integras whipping some good RWD cars on the track.

I guess to me you'd have to narrow it down to performance characteristics and the ability to transmit them in a real world environment.

For example a 2.0 turbo'd Corsa would probably be quick in a straight line but chances are it would get wasted by something like a Clio 172 in the twisties.

Caporegime
I wouldn't call my car a "performance car" per-say, however its definately not an "everyday" sports-car. Not really sure what I'd rate it, as its not your average "hot-hatch" either :confused:

Man of Honour
I would say a Performance Car is any car which has performance. I would classy 'Performance' as 0-60 in about 8 seconds or less.

Performance Car is a very broad, vague term. It can be anything from a big fat Merc that goes very fast to a light, nimble Elise.

Pure performance - so if it goes fast and cannot corner to save its life, its a performance car, but if its slow yet ridiculously brlliant in the bends, it isnt a performance car.

Categories like 'Sports car' are there for being more specific.

Man of Honour
paradigm said:
I wouldn't call my car a "performance car" per-say,

I would - a Leon Cupra R is indisputably a performance car. It is a car, and it has what you can most certainly say is performance.

Soldato
OP
it is a broad term but my only personnel requisit would be RWD or AWD, FWD cannot put the power down at the high levels that iwould class a performance car to have

0-60 times would need to be sub 6 secs but I come from motorbikes so most performance cars seem slow ;)

Caporegime
Steve said:
it is a broad term but my only personnel requisit would be RWD or AWD, FWD cannot put the power down at the high levels that iwould class a performance car to have

Now that is wrong, my car has no problem laying down 225bhp at the front at the moment, and the mapped one I drove at the dealership had no problem laying down 260~bhp.

Soldato
To me unless you are using a specific area as a measure, for example 0-60 times, then a performance car to me must have a combination of factors. These could include things straight line speed, handling, braking, in gear acceleration.

'Performance car' is too generic a term to narrow it down to one area such as 0-60 times.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
I would say a Performance Car is any car which has performance. I would classy 'Performance' as 0-60 in about 8 seconds or less.

Not so sure about that, my mx is sub 8 seconds but its not a performance car, its without doubt a sports car, in 'what car' it keeps winning this group test in every year.

Soldato
Steve said:

0-60 times would need to be sub 6 secs but I come from motorbikes so most performance cars seem slow ;)

I have to disagree with you there.

Goliath's Focus RS is running about 260bhp IIRC (approximately) and from what I've heard from others and seen for myself that had no problems putting the power down.

If the actual car can handle the power (i.e. the brakes, suspension, chassis design) then it isn't a problem IMO. Handling characteristics would be a bit different though.

Man of Honour
I don't care what you guys eventually decide performance is just make sure I can legitimately go around saying 'yea, I now have a performance car' when I change cars, becuase it sounds cool.

Soldato
OP
paradigm said:
Now that is wrong, my car has no problem laying down 225bhp at the front at the moment, and the mapped one I drove at the dealership had no problem laying down 260~bhp.

Most discussions I have seen from enthusiasts and manufactures agree that 250bhp at the front wheels is really the max

I have been in a seriously well moded 280bhp Civic TypeR and it Torque steered all over the place, fast but it couldn't hack the power.

Not wishing to turn this into a FWD v debate but there is a reason why "performance" (that word again) cars are all AWD or RWD and not FWD, and I am sure 99% of people who drive them would never go back to FWD unless deliberatly going back to a normal car.

Not being funny but have you owned anything other than FWD? (this REALLY is not having a dig just intrested in where you are drawing your opinions :))

Steve

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
I don't care what you guys eventually decide performance is just make sure I can legitimately go around saying 'yea, I now have a performance car' when I change cars, becuase it sounds cool.

Make sure you get an M5 and you can refer to it however you want and we will all agree ;)

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:

:D Are you getting the BMW soon then Fox?

This is the sort of discussion that could go round in circles. Plucking figures out of thin air.

Caporegime
Steve said:
Not being funny but have you owned anything other than FWD? (this REALLY is not having a dig just intrested in where you are drawing your opinions :))

Owned, no. Driven, plenty.

To name a few:

E46 330D
E36 320i
Mitsubishi GTO
A4 Quattro

etc, etc...

I would say that as a whole, RWD is my favourite powertrain of choice, however for ease of driving FWD still has them licked.

Caporegime
thebrasso said:
This is the sort of discussion that could go round in circles. Plucking figures out of thin air.

Agreed matey, everyones definition of a performance car is diff depends what you drive atm and what you think is fast, someone who drives a 1.0 corsa might see a 1.8 focus as a performance car for example.

Back
Top Bottom