how to install Office 2003 via msiexec qn+ ?

Soldato
i'm looking for a quicker way to install Office 2003 on new PCs and laptops than using CD and VLK serial key.

we got a wee file server running by winXP pro at work. heard that i can connect to this winXP server and installing Office 2003 on any PCs and laptops in LAN by just clicking the .bat file but how?

msiexec is very new to me :p

same with Office XP too

Associate
Have you got an MST file to go with your MSI?
If you are packaging a non MSI application then you create an MSI, if you are packaging an app that has already got an MSI (all MS ones I imagine, plus plenty more but not all) then you create an MST (Transforms) file.

Is it just the switches that you'd like to know, or is it a full talkthrough of the packaging process?
If it's the switches for the batch file then I could help, the actual packaging....best look elsewhere for an expert :p

Let us know :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
lol i dont know what you're talking about. all i want is install Office 2003 and Office XP on PCs and laptops by double clicking the bat file and install files from the file server.

dont think i got MST

Associate
Gotcha, well you have to create an MST, and this isnt as easily done as writing a batch file, you wont be able to get one from the interent that is already pre-made, as it contains unique information to the company (serial number, company name, location to install to etc).
Like I say I'm no expert on how to go about making the MST itself, Ijust know you need one, and I'm not sure if it is possible to make one without having a reasonable amount of knowledge in the area so maybe have to look into getting a contractor in to make it up for you.
Dont take this for granted mind, you might well be able to make one yourself, it's well worth a look into because if you do learn it and get the skils it would come in handy for other networked installations that you want to use.

What I can say for sure is that you need an MST, and that these links here and here might help you out more than I could if used with the app from here :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
ok thanks mate

will have a look a bit later, what about the bat file? i was told to *copy the Office 2003 files to a folder from CD and store it in file server, open up the laptop and acess to this folder on server then double click this bat file and it'll install everything without asking for VLK serial key etc.

i know its new to me but what does the bat got do with this? related to MST?

cheers :)

* or install Office 2003 on winXP (wee file server)?

Permabanned
Pyrosoft said:
Have you got an MST file to go with your MSI?
If you are packaging a non MSI application then you create an MSI, if you are packaging an app that has already got an MSI (all MS ones I imagine, plus plenty more but not all) then you create an MST (Transforms) file.
That's a fairly good summary actually. MSI files are Microsoft Installer files, and (to cut a long story short) contain a database of files and settings changed during the installation of a package.

Pyrosoft said:
If it's the switches for the batch file then I could help, the actual packaging....best look elsewhere for an expert :p
You rang :) OK I'm not an expert but Ive done a fair bit of MSI packaging and repackaging.

Anyway, first thing to do is to set up an Administrative Install point and incorporate any service packs into it. This should be done on a centrally accessible network server initially, and then you can copy its contents to CD for individual installs.

Then install the Office 2003 Resource Kit and go through the Custom Installation Wizard. This is basically an Office installation wizard++, and will allow you to hardwire which packages you want installed, serial numbers etc.
When completed successfully this will create your mst file, which can then be used as follows for a silent install using the following:

msiexec /i OfficeMSI.msi /t transform.mst /qn

You can of course load an existing Office mst file and change it then re-save it using the CIW.

This is a fairly brief run-through though you should be able to get more detailed instructions by googling for "Office unattended install" "Office silent install" "Custom Installation Wizard" etc.

Associate
wesley said:
ok thanks mate

will have a look a bit later, what about the bat file? i was told to *copy the Office 2003 files to a folder from CD and store it in file server, open up the laptop and acess to this folder on server then double click this bat file and it'll install everything without asking for VLK serial key etc.

i know its new to me but what does the bat got do with this? related to MST?

* or install Office 2003 on winXP (wee file server)?
Well M0KUJ1N has explained better than I could, and has given you an example of what the batch file should/could contain, but this only ever comes after the packaging is complete and is just an easy way to install it (another being SMS but thats for another day ;) )

M0KUJ1N:
I never realised that this was a part of the 03 Res Kit so cheers, going to have a play with that myself.
One question: how easy would it be for a newbie (wesley or me) to make an MST for another app that doest come with the same tools as Office?
It is something I'd like to do just for home use...I like learning :p
Is it worth my while, or is it as I suspect and a job for people who want to do it for real?
Any tips from a real expert would be appreciated:D

Permabanned
Well you have to have a file in msi form in the first place. Unfortunately to re-package software in an MSI format you have to use expensive software such as Wise Package Studio on a clean reference machine (or even better, a VMWare image which can be rolled back). Packaging software can go from fairly straightforward to downright painful to nigh-on impossible, depending on the behaviour of the original program.

Some applications already come in MSI format but surprisingly few actually come with kits to produce custom transforms (Adobe, SAS and some Macromedia apps are the only ones that I can think of OTOMH).

If you're interested, a good place to start is www.appdeploy.com.

There is a free tool produced by Microsoft called ORCA that could be used in theory, but it is pretty low-level and I have (and would never consider) packaging an application from scratch with it. And of course Altiris do provide trial versions of their software if you fancy a play :)

Associate
Aye, I realise that you have to use msi's with mst's, or create your own msi for "normal" installs.
I've actually used Orca a bit, but just for querying already created MSI's.

Anyway, cheers for the info, much appreciated :)
I'll check that website just now :D

Soldato
The process of producing the mst file is actually a lot easier I found ( after doing it for the 1st time yesterday) than combining all the relevant service packs and web updates into one slipstreamed installl.

Its worth the effort though as apart from things like setting the licence key and company details it can also preconfigure outlook for an exchange server etc and other niceties.

Good luck with it and hope your rollout goes well

Associate
Post #6 for some pretty good instructions specifically for office, sorry, I was talking packaging in general after that, sorry for taking it off topic :p

Install the Resource Kit and read up about the Custom Installation Wizard

Soldato
OP
thanks guys

one thing i want to clear up, do i have to INSTALL Office 2003 on the server? also copy the files from CD to a folder?

thanks

Soldato
OP
M0KUJ1N said:
That's a fairly good summary actually. MSI files are Microsoft Installer files, and (to cut a long story short) contain a database of files and settings changed during the installation of a package.

You rang :) OK I'm not an expert but Ive done a fair bit of MSI packaging and repackaging.

Anyway, first thing to do is to set up an Administrative Install point and incorporate any service packs into it. This should be done on a centrally accessible network server initially, and then you can copy its contents to CD for individual installs.

Then install the Office 2003 Resource Kit and go through the Custom Installation Wizard. This is basically an Office installation wizard++, and will allow you to hardwire which packages you want installed, serial numbers etc.
When completed successfully this will create your mst file, which can then be used as follows for a silent install using the following:

msiexec /i OfficeMSI.msi /t transform.mst /qn

You can of course load an existing Office mst file and change it then re-save it using the CIW.

This is a fairly brief run-through though you should be able to get more detailed instructions by googling for "Office unattended install" "Office silent install" "Custom Installation Wizard" etc.

i just installed SP2 for Office 2003 but 2003 Resource Kit? u mean this? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX011511471033.aspx

Soldato
OP
ok,

i'm on a client PC, open up by using the command "\\wes\Office 2003 TEST"

double click the bat file i created with the command to install Office 2003 but have a look the pic

mst5fp.jpg

what am i doing wrong?

Associate
wesley said:
thanks guys

one thing i want to clear up, do i have to INSTALL Office 2003 on the server? also copy the files from CD to a folder?

thanks
You'll copy the files from the CD on to the server (not installing it), just the source is needed.
Then you'll create the MST file to go with it, then the batch file you were asking about at the start installs it from there over the network.

i just installed SP2 for Office 2003 but 2003 Resource Kit? u mean this? http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/FX011511471033.aspx

aye :)

Back
Top Bottom