Anti-piracy warning at the beginning of DVD

Associate
I just BOUGHT the new Family Guy box set, why WHY do they put a massive set of anti-piracy warnings at the beginning of each one that you can't skip through :mad: I paid for for it and it's like they're punishing me for buying it! Anyone else find this annoying?

Associate
OP
Good call mate, but they probably take longer than the kettle! I'm surprised there's still room on the DVD to actually put the box set!

Soldato
I posted about this before, it's retarded and like adverts and trailers that can't be skipped completely ruins the whole concept of instant access media. How many people use to fast forward VHS tapes 6/7mins to skip all the rubbish at the beginning on any rented or bought DVDs?

Seriously the industry needs a slap, I have no sympathy for them with piracy when they do things like this. I've got about 100 DVDs in my collection, all originals and every one has an annoyance like this on it. Sadly if I had a pirated version I could skip them or they wouldn't have them at all!

Associate
basmic said:
This is why I don't own a single original DVD.

You can get far better quality videos from "other sources". ;)

How long will it be before Divx/MKV etc start to use this annoying tactic? id give it less than a year, as theyre becoming mainstream now.

Permabanned
nO}{8 said:
How long will it be before Divx/MKV etc start to use this annoying tactic? id give it less than a year, as theyre becoming mainstream now.
I very much doubt it. If so, it'll be enforced in the decoder. If it was in the AVI itself, all you need do is chop it.

Permabanned
ElRazur said:
I think if you press the menu button on some dvd player, it will skip it and go straight to the Movie main menu. Mine does it. :)

Original DVDs tend to have forced copyright messages which aren't skippable.

Associate
OP
I think if you press the menu button on some dvd player, it will skip it and go straight to the Movie main menu. Mine does it.
Mine makes a little circle with a strikethrough appear! YOU WILL WATCH IT! Try and leave the room and the door slams shut *start sweating* "but I paid BUT I PAID!!!"

Soldato
You can, I think, get some DVD players which can be adjusted to ignore the disks playback restrictions (known as user operation prohibitions (UOPs) ie. "Don't let him skip this", "no fast-forwarding here"). If you play them on your PC, then there is software around that will do much the same.

Wise Guy
Permabanned
Kami said:
Seriously the industry needs a slap, I have no sympathy for them with piracy when they do things like this. I've got about 100 DVDs in my collection, all originals and every one has an annoyance like this on it. Sadly if I had a pirated version I could skip them or they wouldn't have them at all!
Chicken or Egg?

It's precisely because of piracy that they do this.

Personally, though, it's a practice I detest. I have a rather large DVD collection, every one of which is legit, and they're punishing me with this garbage because I'm legit. If I had pirate copies, this stuff would no doubt have been removed.

I understand the intention and motivation of the makers in doing this, but I question the logic. It does NOT prevent piracy, and it DOES P-off legit users. I have every sympathy with studios protecting their investment, and I have no problem with them going after pirates, and no problem with them suing people doing illicit downloads or uploads. But when you've actually paid for the material, I am VERY annoyed at getting treated as if I'm a potential criminal.

Studios .... wake up and smell the coffee. This tactic doesn't work and you're irritating (to say the very least) legitimate users.

Man of Honour
This is why inside my bought DVD cases there's a DVD-R with the film on without any of that crap - so I can stick the disk in the dvd player - settle down on the sofa and there it is at the menu ready to play.

Yup - that advert encourages piracy imho. :D Did with me anyway.

Simon/~Flibster

Associate
Yep I hate this too. To get round this when I’ve finished watching the first time I simply turn the DVD player off, that way when I turn it on again it gives me the option to resume playing from where I stopped and I can just select menu from that without having to go through all that anti piracy crap each time. Dunno if it works for everyone but keeps my blood pressure down.

Soldato
I hate the practice however as has already been said it is only done because of piracy.
Your average scumbag, freeloading pirate ****** will simply copy the whole disk - Anti piracy message included.
I guess they are hoping that when equally freeloading scumbag pirate DVD purchaser sits down they feel just a little guilty.

Probably not - anybody who is happy to steal I doubt really cares about anything, but they live in hope.

Soldato
First thing i do when i buy a retail disc is rip it. Take all the junk away, no adverts, no piracy warnings. Then when i want to want a film, i can. :p

I'd like to say a big thankyou to the dvd industry for encouraging me to learn about dvd encription, ripping and burning, without their input i would never have bothered. Honest.

Soldato
stoofa said:
I hate the practice however as has already been said it is only done because of piracy.
Your average scumbag, freeloading pirate ****** will simply copy the whole disk - Anti piracy message included.
I guess they are hoping that when equally freeloading scumbag pirate DVD purchaser sits down they feel just a little guilty.

Probably not - anybody who is happy to steal I doubt really cares about anything, but they live in hope.

Don't be daft, a pirate disc producer will cut out un-neccessary junk as he only has 4.5gb to play with compaed to 9gb on the retail discs. (i've yet to see a pirate movie recorded onto a dvd9 disc!)

Soldato
theMAD2 said:
I just BOUGHT the new Family Guy box set, why WHY do they put a massive set of anti-piracy warnings at the beginning of each one that you can't skip through :mad: I paid for for it and it's like they're punishing me for buying it! Anyone else find this annoying?
Because in the eyes of the film-makers and groups such as the Motion Picture Association of America, we are all guilty until proven innocent.

Back
Top Bottom