Different profiles on front/rear - MOT failure?

Soldato
Quick one this lads as my MOT has crept up on me. I need my front tyres replacing and many people have stuck 195/50/15's on my car instead of the stock 195/55/15 as the tyres are cheaper. I only need the front two done as the FWD has trashed them. So obviously if i get the front two replaced, they will be on 50 sidewall and the rear will be on 55. So the question:

If the sidewall height on the front is different to the rear, will it fail the MOT?

Answers ASAP as i need to get it booked! Preferably from those in the know. VOSA site simply states that the "tyre size/type and tread depth" are checked so isn't particulalry specific on requirements. Someone with the MOT guidelines would be bonza!

I need some exhaust work done before the MOT too and as such am on a shoestring, otherwise I would just bite it and buy it.

Thanks chaps.

EDIT: Just found THIS site for anyone interested but wont be able to go through it until i get back from work - as a result your input is still very much appreciated.

Last edited:

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
I was told yes when I had the spare on my old car, which was a diff tyre size, so I think it could be. Not 100% sure tho :/

*edit* don't think it matters if they are on a diff axle, didn't read first post properly :)

Soldato
spare tyres can NOT EVER fail an MOT. I knew Id get to say this again sometime soon. :D

IainB is right, they need to be the same size on the same axle, but not all round.

and I edit to read the previous post again properly... yeah a wrong size wheel (eg a space saver or whatever) is only valid as a 'get me home' wheel and should be replaced at the first opportunity.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
stoofer said:
spare tyres can NOT EVER fail an MOT. I knew Id get to say this again sometime soon. :D

IainB is right, they need to be the same size on the same axle, but not all round.

and I edit to read the previous post again properly... yeah a wrong size wheel (eg a space saver or whatever) is only valid as a 'get me home' wheel and should be replaced at the first opportunity.

lol yeah it's when I had a blowout the guy said that I needed to get a new tyre asap as the spare used a diff size. This was odd, he obv assumed as I had alloys they'd be different but the spare turned out to be the same size, silly tyre man :) I didn't mean while it's sat in the boot :)

Back
Top Bottom