New kit! - Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and Tamron Di 90mm macro

Soldato
Have been a bit wreckless this week and splashed out on 2 new lenses (as in the title).

First up, the Tamron 90mm Di macro. Seems like a great lense and I'm quite new to dedicated macro so here's a first few shots:

A wee snail in the garden. This fella was only about 2cm across.

dsc6527medium7lk.jpg

dsc6528medium1nk.jpg

The obligatory lens cap shot. Lots of noise on this one, and fluff, but I quite like it...

dsc6504medium4og.jpg

Here's one from the Sigma. Seems pretty sharp but I need to do some more testing. I did some in the house yesterday and it was pretty soft when at 2.8 but have heard most zoom lenses are at 2.8 (not just sigma). Using f4 or above seems good though.

dsc6356medium2wb.jpg

Will try post some more tomorrow. Walked for miles today lugging all my kit and the Sigma weighs a ton. Am knacked, off to land of nod...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers Marik. You thinking of getting this lens then?
I would say it's very good, but I'm not gushing about it yet as I haven't had chance to really use it properly. It was really cloudy and dull here yesterday, which I guess is conditions that this lens excels in, but I'd like to test it more in nice bright conditions to see what it can produce.

One thing I will say is that my left arm is bloody aching from holding it already.

Associate
wunkley said:
One thing I will say is that my left arm is bloody aching from holding it already.

They should put a disclaimer on any advertisements - This is a 2.8 zoom, according to our records this is the nearest gym in your area, please enrol to prepare yourself.

Soldato
OP
Sleepyd said:
They should put a disclaimer on any advertisements - This is a 2.8 zoom, according to our records this is the nearest gym in your area, please enrol to prepare yourself.

:D It's like lifting a sack o spuds to your eye every shot, and you can't just leave it dangling round your neck either when you're walking so you have to sort of suspend it as you go.

Associate
Lol hehe

Yes I am indeed mate, it was either the sigma 70-300 Macro thing for 160 odd, or this one, and I am going for the 2.8 :D

Definelty going to get it, just need to give someone the cash to go get it for me :D

Dan

Soldato
OP
Marik said:
Lol hehe

Yes I am indeed mate, it was either the sigma 70-300 Macro thing for 160 odd, or this one, and I am going for the 2.8 :D

Definelty going to get it, just need to give someone the cash to go get it for me :D

Dan

That's the one I had before this beast, but I broke it. Had it on a tripod and it fell over. I think my evil half gave it a shove as I didn't really like it.

Back
Top Bottom