Laptops - need some info

Soldato
I`m looking into getting a laptop, probably a budget model

I dont know anything about laptop hardware and need to know what should I be looking out for..i want a laptop that is a good general all rounder

I could do with knowing the best/top 3 or so of gfx cards, processors, hard disks, etc

thanks in advance

Soldato
Unless you're using the laptop for gaming then it isn't even worth bothering about the GFX card. All you really need to know about a laptop is stuff like how heavy it is, how long the battery lasts, is it wi-fi enabled etc etc. CPU and RAM differs a lot across the board so you should look around and see which has the best balance between performance and length of use.

I have a Toshiba Satellite and it has a 1.6GHz Intel, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD, integrated Wi-Fi and as a bonus an ATi Mobility Radeon 9700. While not exactly equipped for running FEAR or doing masses of multi-tasking, it is plenty for my needs :) Also, using some tweaking software, I can make my battery last up to 4 hours - an hour longer than in the specs :O

SiriusB

Soldato
OP
thanks for the replies but i think ive phrased my question badly,
what i`d like to know is what models of processor and gfx cards are the best - preferably in like a top 5 type thing

ie centrion, core duo ,turion, etc ,etc - same for the gfx cards

theres so many names and numbers and i dont have a clue with the the laptop stuff

basically what i`m doing is getting shot of one of my desktops and putting the proceeds towards a laptop that will suit everyday use,ie, wireless net, some gaming capability (but not essential), dvd burning, photo editing (more essential)
it needs to be light-ish and have a half decent battery as i will be using it in the middle of nowhere sometimes (but not always)
id like a decent screen also, probably 15" min, or 17" wide if it doesnt make it too heavy

its all going to be a compromise on performance/price/weight/batterypower

Associate
ChoÞÞer said:
just go on dell, select a laptop you like, and click the hardware you want..
sorted

Chopper! :D
Tried that.
Dell is quick to quote laptops from £399 but when you spec it up to decent performance you end up with an expensive, average performing laptop.
I got an Acer from .....oops can't say... and it is pretty decent for £650.

AMD64 3000+, 512meg ram, ati graphics chip with seperate video ram, DVD +/- d/layer RW drive, 80 gig h/d, wifi, bluetooth, USB2, IEE1394, built in memcard reader. 15.4" widescreen display and more.
Nice looker too and not too heavy.

Soldato
OP
JBuk said:
what i`d like to know is what models of processor and gfx cards are the best - preferably in like a top 5 type thing

ie centrion, core duo ,turion, etc ,etc - same for the gfx cards

has anyone got any idea?

is the core duo any good?

is the mobile x1300 good?

cheers

Soldato
hittman said:
what software is that?

http://www.pbus-167.com/chc.htm

VERY useful piece of software and I am impressed. You can monitor and change a whole load of hardware settings for optimal performance or maximum usage.

It also has lots of profiles so for example if I unplug my laptop from the mains, CHC automatically knocks down the voltage and clock speed of my 1.6GHz processor to just 600MHz! Saving loads of power. However, should my laptop need more processing power, CHC automatically increases voltage/clockspeed as needed.

My favourite feature of CHC is the battery life countdown timer. So instead of a percentage, I can glance at the system tray and see how long approx in hours and minutes I have left!

I urge you all to have a look :D

SiriusB

Back
Top Bottom