• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics Card Or Processor

Associate
I have a AMD 64 3000+ and an nvidea 6600GT, and have been considering upgrading my graphics card to one of the 7900GT cards. Would I be better off upgrading my CPU before doing this, as it is also quite out of date and I think it would hold my graphics card back a lot if I upgraded.

Associate
OP
Yep but not by much only from 1.8GHz to 1.98GHZ. I was thinking of overclocking it a bit more, but never really got there. I only have a retail heatsink and fan, but Im sure I could overclock it by another 0.20-0.30GHz.

Soldato
Memnoch said:
Yep but not by much only from 1.8GHz to 1.98GHZ. I was thinking of overclocking it a bit more, but never really got there. I only have a retail heatsink and fan, but Im sure I could overclock it by another 0.20-0.30GHz.

Id say it would reach 2.4 at least.

With 1.44v mione does 2.6, 2.8 with 1.6v

Associate
OP
Ok my computer is stable at 2.5GHz under load. Any further increce in FSB creates minor instability, however this could be fixed if my mobo allowed me to set my V-core higher than 1.55v.

Do you think I should bother trying to flash my bios, or is my processor decent enough for the 7900GT?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Memnoch said:
Ok my computer is stable at 2.5GHz under load. Any further increce in FSB creates minor instability, however this could be fixed if my mobo allowed me to set my V-core higher than 5.5v.

Do you think I should bother trying to flash my bios, or is my processor decent enough for the 7900GT?

What motherboard have you got mate?

I'd definately upgrade the GFX first, that CPU at 2.5Ghz should provide enough horsepower :)

Soldato
Definitely upgrade the graphics card first, you'll be surprised at how long that CPU will actually last you. I was planning to go dual core recently, but overclocking my CPU a slight bit (only 200MHz) has breathed a whole new life into it. :)

I'll be upping it a lot more too as I have an Arctic Freezer 64 arriving tomorrow or Tuesday, anyone who says overclocking doesn't make a difference is on some sort of crazy drugs. ;)

Soldato
Memnoch said:
Humm looking at the BIOS update I dont think it will help me, but if someone would like to confirm that I would be glad.

Dont think so, i had the original 1002 bios i got with the board and was running my 3500 at 1.6v fine until i updated the bios to the latest version and now it wont let me go above 1.55v :(

Associate
OP
Why would they do that, its pure evil :mad: I hope they relese another update to fix this, because the board was supposed to be good for overclocking.

Soldato
Minstadave said:
You're right though, 1.55V is a poxy max Vcore, have you read around to see if a BIOS update gets you anymore (I would offer but I need some sleep).

But hes only got the retail heatsink... I wouldn't like to go over 1.55V with my SI-120 let alone a retail heatsink.

Soldato
Or foolish :p I always get scared running more than 1.5V through mine, I leave the higher volts for the people with water/phase. My 3700 gets a nice overclock anyway, gets to 2.75GHz with 1.425V so I can't complain:)

Back
Top Bottom