Thunder and lightning, very very frightning

Man of Honour
Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightning

Had a close call at 7AM this morning. Save for a few gentle rumbles and lots of rain, it came without warning. Bright flash and probably the loudest bang I've heard. The whole house shook (as did I :eek: ). The lightning struck a house two streets away and destroyed it. :eek:

I'll happily watch it all day, but at a good distance in future, please. I'd rather not have any special effects other than flashes and bangs. :)

Anyone else had a close call?

Soldato
When I was in South Africa back in 1997 we were staying at an Elephant reserve near Port Elizabeth. As we walked from our chalet to the restaurant to get some dinner a massive lightning stike destroyed our chalet!

Associate
I was nearly stuck by lightening about 4 years ago when I was in Florida. I just remember my vision going white and I asked my mum if it was as close as I though and she said no, untill she told me the truth last year and I have been terrified of storms since then :(

Soldato
A few years back we were leaning out of our office window watching a lightening storm. A bolt hit the lamppost over the road, probably the loudest 'CRACK!!!' I've ever heard. It sent all the monitors funny, the printer died and some guy downstairs got knocked off his chair (he was on the phone).

I hate thunder storms...not because of this incident but because I'm a big girl!

Soldato
Berserker said:
Had a close call at 7AM this morning. Save for a few gentle rumbles and lots of rain, it came without warning. Bright flash and probably the loudest bang I've heard. The whole house shook (as did I :eek: ). The lightning struck a house two streets away and destroyed it. :eek:

I'll happily watch it all day, but at a good distance in future, please. I'd rather not have any special effects other than flashes and bangs. :)

Anyone else had a close call?
I heard it this morning. It's also blown a transformer (oh noes! Optimus Prime!) on the Turnpike Estate.

Soldato
Mic said:
GALILEO GALILEO!

More on topic, ilove thunder storms, as long as their not too close. :)

oh I so wanted to do that :D So instead I'll say

MAGNIFICO!! :D

We saw the best lightning storm when we were in California, watched it wing its way across the trees (we were sat watching in the hot tub til someone pointed it out it was probably not the best place to watch a lightning storm :eek: , then two days later we were in Vegas in 108 degrees heat watching lightning striking in the desert while we were baking a few miles away...it was soo weird but so cool.
/beaten

Soldato
When I was 21 me and the Saturday kid stood in the doorway of an Ellesmere Port shop I was working in to watch the torrential rain. I felt a bit weird and my hair started to stand on end then lightning hit the street light 20ft or so in front of us. It was a massive bang.

I must have jumped 3ft in the air. Our shop computer system was shafted and all the bank alarms in the area were going off.

Soldato
When you say it 'destroyed' the house/chalet, what exactly do you mean? Like tornado style completely flatten it or a couple of tiles missing?

Soldato
Lightning almost struck our house a couple of years back, luckily hitting a telegraph pole instead which was a mere 12' or so from the building. Unfortunately, electricity conducts, and we soon found out why cable is better than ADSL (especially when you have three PCs networked) and why Sky should stop making it mandatory to plug a phone lead into the back of digiboxes. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I am of course glad that I did not get blowed up like a Q-tec PSU. :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Exsomnis said:
Lightning almost struck our house a couple of years back, luckily hitting a telegraph pole instead which was a mere 12' or so from the building. Unfortunately, electricity conducts, and we soon found out why cable is better than ADSL (especially when you have three PCs networked) and why Sky should stop making it mandatory to plug a phone lead into the back of digiboxes. :rolleyes:

Oh, and I am of course glad that I did not get blowed up like a Q-tec PSU. :D

Tis why I love my Belkin surge protectors.:)

I haven't really been in any really big storms in this country apart from the 1987 Hurricane when I still lived in Kent.

Though I have been in south India at peak monsoon season. All I can say is stood on our balcony with my jaw on the floor!. I have also been in Chicago where a mid-american storm thing kicked in. Lots of lightening it was cool, but nothing near India!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Was in a massive storm this past weekend. I was playing my computer games listening to the radio about the storm that rolled over. Well, after awhile I didnt here my town get called out and figured it was just heavy rain outside. Oh boy was I wrong.

I ran outside to my car and drove to a friends house as the rain came down in buckets. Even with the wipers on full blast I couldnt see out my window. As I made the turn into my friends street I heard a massive crack and a huge roar. I thought it was a tornado and I was goig to get blown away. Managed to get to my friends house with nothing more than a scare only to find out that we were actually in a Tornado watch (means funnels clouds have been spoted).

My friend actually got caught in a Tornado and hail storm. Did a bunch of damage to the house he was staying in and the hail dented the hell out of his car and took out a light.

I LOVE TEXAS WEATHER!!!! :D

oh the best part is the lightening. Its so bright that you actually think its day outside. I was looking down at the ground one time when lightening struck and even then my entire vision went white. Gets the blood flowing and makes me feel alive

Last edited:
Associate
A house over the road got hit a last year, blew half the roof off and set it on fire. We thought it was our house, nearly jumped out my skin when I heard it.

Back
Top Bottom