Question about 975X chipset

Soldato
No-one knows or if they do is not telling yet.

I have the Asus P5WD2-Premium (not E) and that is only 955X chipset but may still work as it can accept the new 965EE CPU even though that is supposed to be 975X platform only.

I suspect officially the answer will be no as Asus + intel will want to shift new Conroe ready mobos but unofficially maybe yes as there are plenty of users out there now who can & do mod bioses all the time.

To be safe you need to wait like everyone else (should only be another month or so).

Only confirmed Conroe ready mobo so far is Intels own 975 badaxe but even that has not been confirmed as Conroe ready for the production unit.

Permabanned
OP
Hey there,

Cheers for your insight.

I may just go for an Athlon based PC now then. Was going to get a 960 and the same mobo you have but with the uncertainty surrounding Conroe, Ill make the decision to "go" Intel when the chip is actually available. From what I've read it definitely looks like Intel is about to make a comeback!

S

Associate
1) Boards based on the 975X chipset, available for sale right now, are NOT Conroe compatable, nor will they be with just a BIOS update. The reason why is that the current boards all have a PWM buck controller that does not support VRM revision 11. At the very least a small revision to the board will need to be made along with a new BIOS. End of story.

2) 965X boards, available for sale soon, will all be Conroe compatable. These are being designed to support Conroe from release. They will most likely arrive in market before comparable 975X boards and well before Conroe is available to the public.

3) If you plan on running Conroe later this summer. DO NOT buy a 975X board now with the hope that a BIOS will be made that makes your Conroe drop-in compatable. Now, if you are buying a 975X board for other reasons, knock yourself out.

Source

;)

Back
Top Bottom