AOL users please answer me this

Soldato
Does AOL restrict the use of 3rd party e-mail?

I have an account with a webhost and i use microsoft outlook to send mail through the pop e-mail account i have. But most of the time it wont let me connect to the SMTP server to send mail.

Recieving is find but sending is a pain.

Associate
My mate is on AOL and about 6 months ago I tired to set up email access (in Outlook) to his companies domain.
It would retrieve but not send.

He got a new PC yesterday and someone else set it up. They used Outlook Express and he can now send and receive thru the domain.

Fingers crossed it's working atm.

Soldato
OP
Yeah thats the problem i hate, its not totally blocked, now and again i manage to get mail out, problem is its only been the last few months, before that i could both send/recieve all the time with no hassle.

I would phone up AOL themselfs but i thought..."naaahh" not going into that again or else ill end up having a go at them :eek: :D

Associate
I'm due to go round there tomorrow, will see if he's still able to send, but sounds like its going to be hit & miss :mad:

I've tried to get him to migrate to another ISP, but as he points out he gets 1meg speed and unlimited downloads for about £17 a month, which for his usage is a good deal.

Soldato
OP
Yeah i started on aol at 512 unlimited, which was good at the time for about £24.99, we connected through a router so no dialling. Then they upgraded us to 1 meg unlimited for free, now they have just upgraded us to 2meg for free.

Service is alright, no connection drops etc, but the e-mail thing is abit of a pain...

Back
Top Bottom