Improving Speed of Wireless Network

Associate
Hi there,

For a while now my wireless network (2MB NTL Broadband) has been really, really slow, constantly, and with some advice from some kind & knowledgable people on OcUK I'd like to improve/solve it :)

Basically the slow speeds of the network/internet seems to be happening all the time and when browsers are trying to connect /load websites or retrieve e-mail through Outlook or Apple Mail. When downloading either via a torrent or direct from a website the speed is great, at around 230kb/s.

My first thought was of a viruses, so I did the usual scan with AVG, Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-spyware and everything was fine, a few bits and pieces but nothing serious.

When I first got the Netgear router it kept cutting it all the time when I was using the wireless capabilites on it, so after a month or so I turned off the wireless on the router and added the Netgear WAP onto the router.

That solved the problem, it hasen't cut out since but unfortunatly it has always been very slow as mentioned above, and after several firmware upgrades and changing settings the only thing that seems to solve the speed issues is resetting the router & WAP and all is well for about 2 hours until it starts slowing down again.

Also worth mentioning is theres a 64bit WEP security code on the WAP and both router and WAP are away from any large metal objects that could cause interference.

I was thinking of replacing the router and WAP with a different, better wireless router but was not sure if this would solve the problem, so I'm really just looking for some advice as to what to do.

Thanks,

Steven.

My setup is as follows:

4 laptops: 3x Windows XP, 1x Mac OS X.
Airport for Mac, 2 Netgear Wireless Cards (WG511T) & built-in Wireless for IBM Thinkpad

NTL Cable Modem > Netgear Router (RangeMax WPN824) > Netgear WAP (WG602)

Permabanned
MagSafe said:
Hi there,

For a while now my wireless network (2MB NTL Broadband) has been really, really slow, constantly, and with some advice from some kind & knowledgable people on OcUK I'd like to improve/solve it :)

Basically the slow speeds of the network/internet seems to be happening all the time and when browsers are trying to connect /load websites or retrieve e-mail through Outlook or Apple Mail. When downloading either via a torrent or direct from a website the speed is great, at around 230kb/s.

My first thought was of a viruses, so I did the usual scan with AVG, Ad-Aware and Microsoft Anti-spyware and everything was fine, a few bits and pieces but nothing serious.

When I first got the Netgear router it kept cutting it all the time when I was using the wireless capabilites on it, so after a month or so I turned off the wireless on the router and added the Netgear WAP onto the router.

That solved the problem, it hasen't cut out since but unfortunatly it has always been very slow as mentioned above, and after several firmware upgrades and changing settings the only thing that seems to solve the speed issues is resetting the router & WAP and all is well for about 2 hours until it starts slowing down again.

Also worth mentioning is theres a 64bit WEP security code on the WAP and both router and WAP are away from any large metal objects that could cause interference.

I was thinking of replacing the router and WAP with a different, better wireless router but was not sure if this would solve the problem, so I'm really just looking for some advice as to what to do.

Thanks,

Steven.

My setup is as follows:

4 laptops: 3x Windows XP, 1x Mac OS X.
Airport for Mac, 2 Netgear Wireless Cards (WG511T) & built-in Wireless for IBM Thinkpad

NTL Cable Modem > Netgear Router (RangeMax WPN824) > Netgear WAP (WG602)
whats your signal strength.

Back
Top Bottom