mondeo mk2 speakers...

Associate
what size are the speakers in a mk2 mondeo?

my clarion mp3 head unit stopped working correctly last night. when I flip the face down to put a cd in the stereo turns off.
wont suck in a cd.

flip the face back up and have to turn it on. ripped it all out to check for a loose connection but all seemed fine to me.

so, I am buying a new unit, and thought sod it will do all the speakers at the same time.
1. what size are the originals?
2. will odd ford <--> rest of the normal world adapters be needed?
3. anyone suggest a sub 100quid mp3 head unit?

Cheers in advance.

Soldato
1) Originals are 5x7" speakers.
2) Most probably, you can fit up to 17cm speakers with the adaptors you can find/build.
3) Pioneer DEH-P4800MP Can be had for £99.99 and is the best in my opinion for under £100.

Associate
OP
so a 5x7 or 6" with an adaptor.
will have to think about it. 6" would suit me better I suppose. not that fussed though. cos my luck with cars will fit a few hundred quid into a stereo and the thing will blow up :)

any fouling issues against the grills of the door cards using an adaptor?
at the moment the left hand side rattles really badly, assuming it is plastic rattling around, might dynamat a small piece around the door card.

Soldato
saitrix said:
In my Focus i have no problems using 17cm Alpines, I also know Fox does not have any problems either.
I bought some 17cm cheapo Sony's to replace to blown speakers in my last Mondeo.

I bought some adaptors from Halfords too, about £10-£15 I think.

I am going to get some component speakers up front and relegate the normal Sony speakers to the rear.

JBL components (something like 6500) sound very good in the Mondeo, better than Fox's Alpine components.

Associate
OP
hmm sounds like a plan.

ok so head unit, 17cm adaptors, and some speakers.

are the rear doors the same? might do all 4 at the same time.

wont be doing components though...not planning on keeping the car that long! :)

anyone added any sort of lead matting to the door/rear of the door card to stop rattling etc?

Soldato
You shouldn't need any sort of matting to stop things rattling.

Maybe it's the speaker itself which is rattling?

Where abouts in the UK are you as I could do with 1 x Ford Speaker.

Associate
OP
well I did think that. just odd that it is only one side doing it.

not the end of the world.
not sure what to do yet, goto wait for pay day before I can buy anything.
but head unit and front speakers will hopefully happen at the weekend, unless I can fix it tonight. but I tihnk something small and electrical has failed.

in the south east mate.

Soldato
lozza23_uk said:
well I did think that. just odd that it is only one side doing it.
It's not odd. If just one speaker has blown is perfectly normal.

The Ford speakers do seem a bit crap really. I have had 2 Mondeos, that's a total of 8 speakers. Out of those 8, 5 have been blown/rattle.

At the moment I have just faded out the rear speakers in my Mondeo untill I can replace the O/S/R one. I don't think I will uprate them, just whack another Ford one in.

Back
Top Bottom