Changing Motherboards

Soldato
Hello guys,
After buying a new graphics card I realised I needed a new motherboard. Im now at the point where my PC is in peices and Ive taken the CPU and heatsink off the motherboard.

However, I uncliped the heatsink from the motherboard and tried to pull it (gently) off. In my attempt the processor come with the heatsink. I've checked the CPU and it looks fine withy no damage to the pins.

Should I:

A. Move the whole bundle across to my new motherboard and attach it.
OR
B. Try and unglue the CPU and heatsink, apply new thermal paste (currently used thermal pad) and then attach them to the motherboard.

If it's B then hows best to get them both apart? I originally used the stock thermal pad that was already attached to the heatsink, so their VERY attached right now.

Soldato
If I have read that right, I doubt you will be able to get the CPU back in with the cooler attached, so removing it is a must.

Seen others with this prob, and some sort of twisting action has worked.

What CPU is it as ones with a IHS are fairly robost.

Soldato
OP
It's an AMD 64bit 3700.
I didn't want to pull at it in case I broken it. Would it be best to put it in front of a hair dryer for a bit first, then twist it by holding the edges?

It's a pretty expensive processor so I don't wanna take any chances :p

Associate
That happened to me a few years ago with my laptop.

It was a 2.53GHz P4, lets just say i used a chisel and i'm still using the same processor on it :D

Just dont chisel between the PCB and the IHS! lol

Chiselling it seemed dumb at 1st, but when i think about it, IMO it's less likely to cause damage than twisting for sure.

Back
Top Bottom