I'm going to have to dig a hole

Soldato
Yep thats real. In a recent issue of PCZONE they're a article about game licences and past ones that could have been good but failed miserably. E.T was one of the games that comes to mind, they also mentioned robocop as well.
There was a part in the article where they mentioned that atari dumped a lot of games in a landfill. I didnt think it was true at first, but seeing that site you linked it must be true. Shocking really :(

Soldato
its true yer but you cant go and find them as they hired steam rollers to destroy them all for fear of looters.

edit: just watched the video it seems you can dig them up, I definitely read they crushed them all I dont know if they set it up in the video or its real now.

In this case the rumor was accurate, although it wasn't the first time Atari had destroyed cartridges, nor was E.T. the only game dumped in New Mexico. (Rumor had it that Atari's Borregas Street warehouse sat atop crushed and buried game cartridges as well.) Some other video game manufacturers attempted to rid themselves of excess inventory by selling it at sharply reduced prices, but Atari, stuck with millions of games and consoles that were largely unsellable at any price, sent fourteen truckloads of merchandise from their plant in El Paso, Texas, to be dumped in a city landfill in Alamogordo, New Mexico in late September 1983. In order to keep the site from being looted, steamrollers crushed and flattened the games, and a concrete slab was poured over the remains.

Snopes source

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom