Router freezing when wireless function is turned on.

Associate
Just got my router working via a usb port, running as a lan, whenever i turn the wireless ap function on it freezes and i don't know why, whether the internet connection through it is on or not, anyone know why?

The internet connection if on, carries on as normal, but i can no longer touch any of the settings on the router.

It's the dynamode one.

Cheers.

Permabanned
can you connect via network cables? get a network cable connect it to a lan port see if that works see if you can ping an outside ip or jolt.co.uk, if not add a static ip to your network card remember to add the routers internal ip ie gateway in your tcpip settings use the dns and gateway addy should be the same. then try to ping.

does the router wan interface have a lock out policy where it dosent allow any new devices, or is it set to mac addy? does it have wep or any other security policy. does it have user name and password ? is dchp enabled on your router,

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Another thing, i thought once a router was setup up it could act as a standalone device, my girlfriend told me this is not the case, it must be connected by cable to atleast one connection at all times, who is right?

I tried disconnecting the usb cable, and then connecting to the router via a lan cable plugged into my ethernet port and port 1 on the router, and all i get is 'limited or no connectivity', why is this, this should work now right? ...Because although the wireless ap is not currently working, the lan side of things via the usb cable works fine.

By the way, when i say the router settings freeze up, what actually happens is i get a web page appearing with 'Internal communication error' at the top in TNR size 16, the rest of the page blank.

I will have a look for those settings when i get home later.

Cheers

Associate
Try checking on the manufacturers website of the router for a firmware update.

Is DHCP enabled on it?

Things don't seem right at all tho with it freezing/errors like that so def look for a firmware update.

Permabanned
DHCP server, and yes, the router is a standalone device. The only connections needed for the router to function are the WAN and PSU connections.

Associate
OP
michellez said:
Try checking on the manufacturers website of the router for a firmware update.

Is DHCP enabled on it?

Things don't seem right at all tho with it freezing/errors like that so def look for a firmware update.

No updates and dhcp is on.

Totally confused.

Associate
OP
Brains said:
Totally confused.

Did a factory reset and would you believe it, the thing is actually working! Well chuffed, not bad ey, a wireless router modem and wireless lan pci card for my rents computer all in for £18 of the bay! :D

Now it is working correctly as a lan, and i can do with the settings as i please, however, i still don't know how to setup a wireless network, would appreciate it if one of you good people could lay out some guidelines, many thanks.

Associate
OP
I have enabled my wireless ap, but the things i am trying are just not allowing my computer to detect the router, just keep getting 'no wireless networks in range' or something similar. What can i do to make it detect it? Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom