• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

can you mix and match pci-e gfx cards for multi monitor setup ?

I've had a very hard time looking for information on this topic and am hoping someone on here can enlighten me, my next motherbaord is the intel Desktop Board D975XBX that has 3 pci-e slots, I need to have 3 monitors running off this board, can I put a 7900gtx pci-e in one slot to power 2 screens and then purchase say a cheap 6200 pci-e and run another monitor from that, OR, would I have to match the 7900gtx meaning I would have to buy another one just to run an extra screen ? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Caporegime
lowrider007 said:
I've had a very hard time looking for information on this topic and am hoping someone on here can enlighten me, my next motherbaord is the intel Desktop Board D975XBX that has 3 pci-e slots, I need to have 3 monitors running off this board, can I put a 7900gtx pci-e in one slot to power 2 screens and then purchase say a cheap 6200 pci-e and run another monitor from that, OR, would I have to match the 7900gtx meaning I would have to buy another one just to run an extra screen ? any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can mix and match but I'd stay with one manufacturer (Nvidia/ATI) just for simplicity and compatibility :)

Soldato
On this subject, what about having a low power card for everyday use in 1 of the slots ?

I'm thinking I don't need my X1900XT firing all the time, especially if I just boot to check emails etc. quickly.....so, any ideas on how to disable the XT for some boots and the 'cheapo' for others ?

I'm thinking BIOS may provide, or perhaps hardware profile in Windows ?

Back
Top Bottom