Looking after your pc

Soldato
I use tunexp to tweak performance, unlike a lot of programs it actually made a difference I could notice particularly in startup/shutdown times. Apart from that just keeping everything at a minimum in terms of items loading at startup.

startup control panel is a handy little util to have, works with any OS 95+ and you dont even have to install it. Class :)

Soldato
bakes0310 said:
im not worried about viruses just the random crashes i get an the 370 errors that have shown up on registery mechanic.
370 tis a bit high, but thats Windows for you.

Highly recommend TuneUp Utilities 2006 (replaced Norton SystemWorks after several years of using it). These programs really do make a difference and are a very worthwhile (small) investment :D

Soldato
OP
hp7909 said:
370 tis a bit high, but thats Windows for you.

Highly recommend TuneUp Utilities 2006 (replaced Norton SystemWorks after several years of using it). These programs really do make a difference and are a very worthwhile (small) investment :D
ta ill have a look

Soldato
OP
ive just downloaded tuneup 2006 free trial and its absolutly amazing it fixed over 500 problems and errors and my computer feels a little faster :)

Soldato
I use:

1. Low system resource hog AV like NOD32
2. Don't bother with software firewall as the firewall on the router is more than enough
3. Tune Up Utilities
4. Web Root Window Washer - one click cleanup of temp files, IE cache, recycle bin etc
5. Adaware - installed but only run it now and again
6. Perfect Disk for defragging HD

Caporegime
I'll add to the above "Advanced WindowsCare" which is a freebee :

"Slow down, freeze and blue-screen crash are over. Advanced WindowsCare thoroughly examines the Windows system, accurately detects the bottlenecks for slowing down and crashing, fixes these problems and repairs Windows. All work will be done with 30 seconds and 1 click."

http://www.iobit.com/WindowsCare.htm

Even though I run a clean ship my system's now faster, more responsive and quite possibly more stable because of this software ;)

Soldato
Run as a regular user, that way any malware that manages to get past your defenses won't be able to do much damage.

Associate
Nothing seems to get through my setup , using Panda Platinum with built in firewall .Also have allways used Ad-aware & Spybot , I find what one will miss the other will find , but they dont pick everything up .I still use an expired version of Webroot Spy Sweeper, now that still finds things others have missed and I'm seriously thinking of buying this program .It is excellent .I would never recommend using McAfee or Norton ,they were good , infact I had allways used McAfee till Panda came along , but there to intrusive nowadays and I've heard of lots of problems in trying to remove them.

Back
Top Bottom