MP3’s On Phones?

Soldato
Hey guys,

I always like to use an MP3 as a ringtone on my phone – my latest being a Nokia N70.

However, every now and then when my phone rings it defaults back to the ‘Nokia’ tone :(

I was speaking to a few pals at work and there are experiencing exactly the same phenomenon, and on different manufactures phones :eek:

I know my old Nokia 6320 used to do it too?

I suspect have the problem is the size of the MP3’s on the memory card and the time in which it takes to be accessed. Maybe :rolleyes:

My current ringtone is 7 MB.

Anyway, seeing as though all my MP3’s are as small as they can be under Media Player, I wanted to know if anyone knows of any software (Free or very cheap) that allows you to reduce the size of the file even further or even convert it to another file type – I think the Nokia one is .midi?

Ideas please…

SW.

Associate
7m . that's one helluva size .I recode my music for my C500 [Smartphone] with CoolEdit . Making the song mono instead of stereo and also making it 8bit . Pointless having stereo on a mono phone .Just cuts down on the file size and it's still sounds pretty good .

Associate
and also, a 7Mb mp3 must be what, 5 mins long?

doubt you'll ever let your phone ring that long, likely if you don't answer it in 10-20 seconds it's gonna divert to voicemail anyway.
so why not create a trimmed verison of your favourite track for use as the ringtone, that is only 10-20 seconds long.

encode at lower bitrate and mono and the file size will plummet.

try Audacity for audio manipulation on the free side :)

Last edited:
Associate
Can't convert mp3 to midi though they are completely different things. And even if I am wrong and you can do it somehow it would be pointless because it wouldn't compress it anymore.

Best bet is doing what above posts say. I prefer Audacity.

Hope this helps, null :)

Soldato
OP
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies ;)

The reason I'm using a 7 MB file is because I also play the same track sometimes as an MP3 on the phones player.

Your right though, I only need about 10 seconds of the track as a ringtone - I'm just downloading Audacity now :D

Thanks,

SW.

Caporegime
null said:
Can't convert mp3 to midi though they are completely different things. And even if I am wrong and you can do it somehow it would be pointless because it wouldn't compress it anymore.

Best bet is doing what above posts say. I prefer Audacity.

Hope this helps, null :)

You can convert mp3 to midi however it sounds awfull because it was not originally made in the sound limited midi format. File size does decrease to about 50kb though.

Associate
Energize said:
You can convert mp3 to midi however it sounds awfull because it was not originally made in the sound limited midi format. File size does decrease to about 50kb though.
I meant the file size wouldn't decrease if you wanted comparable quality :p

Back
Top Bottom