Agh, frustrating problem!

Man of Honour
Muh, the most irritating thing happened to me last night. I'm in a university hall, a particuarly noisey one at that. I live on a 45 person corridoor (!) and I'm the person who lives near the door when you enter. That has the consequence of being woken up almost every night at 3am by some idiots going 'WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY!' drunkely as they stumble past my door.

Unfortuantly, this is made worse by the fact that I'm very easy to disturb in my sleep, and I have problems readjusting. I'm usally tossing / turning for a good 2 hours once being woken up. Being the sort of guy that has 9am lectures everyday, that isn't good! I also have very sensitive ears, the sort that can tell if a plug or appliance is on in a room without looking round. So yes, I have kind of doomed myself really :p

Recently I've been getting arsey with people waking me up on my corridoor due to solid days of revision for exams (I'll save my *art studants have it easy* rant for another day), and they have appologised and have stopped waking me up, or at least are much much more considerate, and for that I am thankful.

However, a new nemesis has appeared, whoever lives downstairs has been rediculously noisey. At one point I called security for his bass waking me up at 4am! Anyway, to last night:

Basically this git downstairs, or someone, was playing the guitar REALLY loud with his window open. Hence keeping me up! I contemplated ringing security, but thought it would be a better idea to show my corridoor what I have to put up with...

So I wander around and find two good mates who are still up. They say 'Are you sure its that loud? I really can't here anything.....'
'You can here it in my room! Its aweful :/'

So we trundle into my room and I say 'can you hear that? its soo annoying!'

Them: '........'
me: '.....'
Them: 'I really can't hear anything..'
Me: 'Nooo listen, its there!'
We all pause to listen, to find the sound from downstairs now only competeing with the hum of a computer for noise.
me: .... eh... I admit.... its got quieter....
Them: Seriously.... you need help or something! You complain about noise that doesn't exsist! Get ear plugs if it bothers you!
me: ... but... eh... its..... noisey (not really thinking my words through here!)
Them: It really isn't *exchance strange looks* Well at least you have good hearing.. or something... *In a very sarcastic tone* Night....!

Both then leave the room with '.....weirdo' expressions leaving me alone again. Then literally 10m seconds later I get a full rendition of Mr. Brightside by a drunken mob chanting :/

So not only do I look like some freak weirdo, I'm worried that people will lose my respect of being quiet for me when I'm trying to sleep. Its partially down to me for being so sensitive to noise (big ears you see!) but its not like I can help it. It feels a bit like this:

Me: 'Quick come here! The voices... THE VOICES!'
Them: 'Of course they are there.... Hold on, I've checked your room. there is no voices. They must be in you head' *Leaves the room*
Voice: I'm still here!
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo!

So basically, how do I go about preventing people thinking idiot / weirdo and then being less aware of the noise they are making?

Caporegime
As Penski would say in his immortal words....suck it up and get on with it:D:p

Seriously though i know how you feel i had to put up with constant noise when i was at uni and living in halls. What i used to do is just my music up a bit so i couldnt hear them or usually i used to go over to my gfs place and sleep over at her flat.

Associate
i hate not knowing what a noise is when im trying to kip,

my solution has always been telly on sleep timer or Radio4 very calming

Man of Honour
OP
Phog said:
Might just be worth putting up with it now. You'll be out of the halls next year anyway?
Yep, can't wait in that respect, the guys I'm moving in with are very considerate. More so than my block which apparently is the worst its been by far in the last four years, according to my block tutor!

I havn't been particuarly frustrated before because obviously I havn't been working as hard all year. From the second of June, I really couldn't care about noise :D

Man of Honour
OP
SexyBetty said:
Another vote for earplugs, that would have saved that huge thread :p
Not really, no one is yet to give any advice on how to avoid people thinking 'I hear things which arn't there'.

Which for refference, I don't ;)

Associate
Saturday night, you're at Uni, you should be out til 5am making loud drunken noises yourself with others complaining about you.

Man of Honour
OP
Mike said:
Saturday night, you're at Uni, you should be out til 5am making loud drunken noises yourself with others complaining about you.
Well I would, but unfortuantly I don't do a slacker subject that would let me do that since I have to be up early (And not hungover). If only I picked 'Ancient history' eh?

Man of Honour
OP
Mike said:
But anyway, dude, saturday night!
Yeah I know, but when it comes to the point where its having a bad effect on my studying (when it matters) then I have to draw the line. Especially when the solution is as obvious as turning down a speaker or shutting a window!

Associate
Nitefly said:
Me: 'Quick come here! The voices... THE VOICES!'
Them: 'Of course they are there.... Hold on, I've checked your room. there is no voices. They must be in you head' *Leaves the room*
Voice: I'm still here!
Me: NOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo!

So basically, how do I go about preventing people thinking idiot / weirdo

If it helps I'm leaning far more towards weirdo than idiot. :p

Back
Top Bottom