Another 1st Car Query

Soldato
Hey Guys,

I've not actually passed my test yet, ive had a fair amount of lessons over the years and hope to take it in a few months after my holiday and uni finished. Im just looking around for cars at the moment, or at least ideas so i can get saving. I might get a brand new one from ford as my uncle works for a subsidary and can get upto 33% off (upto, depends on car no doubt).

I quite like the new Ford Fiest 06 Models, im not to worried about speed or performance as long as itll get me from A to B so what a 1.4 would be fine i guess? (car n00b)

What i do like is a good style / interior on the car - i like the side skirty bits to match the car colour, and a nice interior with some cool features.

Im 21 at the moment and would like to spend no more then £300 a month on both Insurance + Car (if thats possible??) if i get the job i want i would push that to £400. What kind of options are there? i would prefer some sort of finance agreement, as im not great at saving - but any opinions would be great.

Any one got interior pics of the new fiesta's?

Also i apologise if i sound a complete n00b or have stupid ideas, i know not a lot about cars so i may be asking the impossible.

Thanks in advance

Soldato
man what a noob.

Sorry trying to be funny :( I've seen plenty of ads in newspapers for new and used cars from £99-200 per month, go see what you can find.

Personally, Ford, Vauxhall,Peugot, etc give so many problems I just dont like them :/

Soldato
Having a brand new car for your first car isn't the best idea in the world, insurance companies will love you... look for a low insurance group car <1.4l that's 2-3 years old. That way the insurance, initial cost and depreciation won't be as much.

I know I'm a bit younger than you, but the lowest quote I could get for my Getz was £2400 fully comp and it's only a tiny 'lil thing :eek:

Soldato
McDaniel said:
i did a quote for a Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 cheapest fully comp was £1980ish

Get yourself a 2nd hand 1.6 Focus. At 17 my insurance was £1500 fully comp, it is fast enough for your needs aswell. Got enough space for things whilst not being mega huge. Nice handling also.

Also you going to be doing pass plus?

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't waste your money. £300-400 a month is a hell of a lot of money. Spend up to 1k on either a pants small car or an ok mondeo or something. It's just not worth it.. Contrary to popular belief older cars are not necessarily unreliable and can provide reliable service perfectly well. My first car cost £170 in 2003. I clocked up 13k in six months and then sold it for £100. ;)

Soldato
Cyanide said:
I know I'm a bit younger than you, but the lowest quote I could get for my Getz was £2400 fully comp and it's only a tiny 'lil thing :eek:

You either didn't look very hard or live in a ghetto.

It really isn't neccesary to drive around something powered by a sewing machine as a first car. Get something a couple of years older but slightly larger (focus sized or similar) and you'll get more for your money and be surprised at how little extra the insurance is.

When it comes down to it, you're a young driver, and the loading on the premium for being young is going to be so much higher than the loading for going up a few insurance groups.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Don't waste your money on an 06 car - especially if you are not that fussed about cars and purely want a no fuss way of getting from A to B.

Soldato
PeterNem said:
You either didn't look very hard or live in a ghetto.

I looked on every site I could, including a search on thisismoney.co.uk, called in at my local brokers, checked out tesco, asda, RAC and all the main ones, as well as some I'd never heard of.

Where on earth are you guys going to get it so cheap? :(

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Don't waste your money on an 06 car - especially if you are not that fussed about cars and purely want a no fuss way of getting from A to B.

its not so fussed about cars as such - just not about performance. Its hard to explain, but it doesnt have to be a rocket - just a solid nice looking car, good features.

Im not a boy racer (despite living in essex)

Soldato
Cyanide said:
I looked on every site I could, including a search on thisismoney.co.uk, called in at my local brokers, checked out tesco, asda, RAC and all the main ones, as well as some I'd never heard of.

Where on earth are you guys going to get it so cheap? :(

I'd get a quote from the Admiral group (Admiral, Elephant or Bell) and add your Mum as a named second driver (keep the policy in your own name)

This is completely above board as the insurance is in your name and you're the main driver but it'll save you a few hundred pounds on your insurance

Soldato
ajgoodfellow said:
I'd get a quote from the Admiral group (Admiral, Elephant or Bell) and add your Mum as a named second driver (keep the policy in your own name)

This is completely above board as the insurance is in your name and you're the main driver but it'll save you a few hundred pounds on your insurance

Tried it, they weren't the cheapest anyways and adding mum as a second put the price up by £50 with some and made no difference at all with others :(

Soldato
McDaniel said:
its not so fussed about cars as such - just not about performance. Its hard to explain, but it doesnt have to be a rocket - just a solid nice looking car, good features.

So why are you looking new? You could get yourself a much better car that isn't really any faster but better build, more comforts/refinement for the same money.

Soldato
McDaniel said:

Do you need to buy new to get the discount?

If not, I'd look at getting a Focus 1.6 that's about three years old

You'll save a fortune in depreciation and IMO it's a nicer car than the Fiesta.

Soldato
OP
ajgoodfellow said:

i just did it on a single policy, not multiCar

got my friend to check it after they gave me

our Price is £1405.15

for 10month + £250 excess.... cheapest before was like £1980.

thats on a Ford Fiesta Zetec-S 1.6 2006 Model

Soldato
OP
ajgoodfellow said:
Are you a student?

If so, try Endsleigh

Im not sure, i could ask - i didnt even realise that you could buy second hand direct from Ford - like i say im a bit of a n00b; id get my dad to help me out anyway (at uni atm) hes well into cars, just wanted some other opinions

saitrix - i assumed the discount from my uncle would be on a new car thats all - im not saying i def will - just one route i could take

Soldato
McDaniel said:
saitrix - i assumed the discount from my uncle would be on a new car thats all - im not saying i def will - just one route i could take

You should be able to get it on a Ford approved second hand car as far as I know (my fiance's grandad used to work for them).

Your local Ford dealer should have looooooads in and they're a much better option than a new one :)

Man of Honour
zain said:
Personally, Ford, Vauxhall,Peugot, etc give so many problems I just dont like them :/

This is, largely, rubbish.

Even a car I hate, the Corsa, is unlikely to give 'so many problems'.

Back
Top Bottom