Help me grill interviewees :D

Associate
So im leaving my current job for somewhere else in which I am basically a web designer/developer. Somehow I convinced the boss to let me help him interview my potential replacement so I want some nice questions I can throw at them to make them sweat :D So far I have decided to do a screenshot of our homepage and let them tell me how they would go about designing it, and also a product page which I want them to tell me how they would code it for search engine optimisation.

The boss will be taking care of the what are your strengths etc rubbish questions so I want some nice harsh technical ones to throw at them.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
Ask them to calculate the approximate mass of the sun. Or to define irony. Watch for the reaction on their faces when they hear these questions asked! :D

You could argue that they will show you how the candidate deals with a difficult problem under pressure. Oh joys!

Soldato
Just ask them 3 questions:

One involving a sandwich being cut in half.
One involving an aeroplane on a treadmill
One involving 0.999999r and 1.

Whatever answers they give to the questions you should argue the opposite point until they give up and walk out.

Soldato
Just a small point...

I disagree with making people sweat in interviews where they're not going into a managerial role because I'd rather see their ability to answer questions without people breathing down their neck. If anything, the applicant would probably see this and might choose a job where they're picked for their ability and not their choice of anti-persperant. :p

Associate
OP
Karl said:
Just a small point...

I disagree with making people sweat in interviews where they're not going into a managerial role because I'd rather see their ability to answer questions without people breathing down their neck. If anything, the applicant would probably see this and might choose a job where they're picked for their ability and not their choice of anti-persperant. :p

Well i dont want to be totally evil but I do want to see how they cope under a bit of pressure. The last person he hired is absolute RUBBISH and any sign of a bit of pressure and they go to pieces. For my portion of the interview I will mostly be assesing their technical skills but I do want to throw in a few curveballs for good measure.

Soldato
You: "If you were caught stealing something from work, would you be honest and admit to theft or would you blame a disabled co-worker if you were certain your employers would believe you..."

Interviewee: "But I wouldn't steal..."

You: "It's a hypothetical question..."

Interviewee: "But..."

You: "Please answer the question..."

Soldato
Remember it's a two way thing, make the interview too obtrusive and they may decide not to work for you.

I've heard many stories from colleagues of how they decided not to go with a company because of their interview strategy or process.

One of the major consulting companies got an interview with a good friend of mine. In the interview they asked him to do his best chicken impression, they wanted to see him walk around the room clucking.

Long story short he said no, finished the interview and refused to return fo the second interview. He explained why and left it at that, got a call the next day from one of the directors apologising and asking him to return! You don't spend 6 months trying to headhunt someone and when they finally agree to come in and have an interview ask them to prance around the room like a chicken! That's entry level interview crap!

Anyway, i've digressed. Don't think being part of an interview means you have to be a git or even contribute. You can keep quiet and give your opinion afterwards.

Associate
OP
chicken impression :| Yea I dont think id go with that company either! Ill play it by ear I think - I will definatly ask them my technical questions as thats what the job is for, then I suppose ill decide whether to throw them some tricky ones at the time.

Permabanned
You: What would you rather be.. Gay or Blind?

Them: Err, well.. gay I guess..

You: Ah discriminating against blind people..I see

Them: No no, I just thought.. ok then blind

You: ... so now you're attacking the gays

Them: But..no ..err

Man of Honour
basmic said:
What makes you think we should employ you?

That's such a horrid question, hated having that in my recent interviews.

But the interviewee can then turn around and say, why should I work for you? Then the interviewer needs to come up with a good list of pluses the company has to offer.

Associate
iCraig said:
You: What would you rather be.. Gay or Blind?

Them: Err, well.. gay I guess..

You: Ah discriminating against blind people..I see

Them: No no, I just thought.. ok then blind

You: ... so now you're attacking the gays

Them: But..no ..err

will have to remember this one :cool:

Associate
I had a good interview recently (as in I got the job). Basically, I had to do some group work in the morning, I was then asked to assess my performance. Give examples of where i'd been a leader in the past, how i'd contributed to other groups. From there the interview was about the job itself, how my studies had prepared me for it, my understanding of the role etc.

I think, that's how interviews should be. A chance for the candidate to give an honest assessment/representation of themselves, their knowledge of the job/field and their relevant skills.

Associate
OP
this is taking place as an open day thing in the job centre so there wouldnt be any chance to do group type work (plus theres not enough employees to be considered a group!). Judging by what the boss has said in the past when looking for staff the quality of candidates has generally not been that high - perhaps unsurprisingly.

Back
Top Bottom