• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1900 Amps?

Soldato
I saw a thread on another forum that I thought was pretty interesting. It was to do with the maximum number of amps that X1900's were drawing. You can see this info in ATI Tool, which is a great little utility, available here

Under 2D all X1900's should draw the same(5.5A), as clocks are reduced but under 3D it can vary quite a lot depending on how much they are overclocked. Some people had theirs drawing over 30A! My XT at stock clocks only draws 19.1A but I am sure lots of people can beat this.

Anyway, this thread is also related to concerns about my PSU. As per my sig, it's a Hiper 480W, which exceeds ATI's minimum demands and has 18A+16A on the 12V rails. However, whilst running an instance of SP2004 and ATI Tools artifact scanner or 3D view, the number of amps the card is drawing often falls from 19.1A to 5.5A. This also decreases performance. I thought that this might be a problem with the PSU but I bought a multimeter and the 12V reading when under heavy load stays at 12.23V from an idle reading of 12.37V.

It would be great if as many X1900 owners as possible could post their Amps when just running ATI Tools 3D view and also their Amps when running ATI Tools 3D view plus an instance or two of SP2004 or S&M.

Thanks!

Soldato
On my way out so can't explain in detail. You may know this already, but..

1> You can't just add the two 12v PSU rails together to get the true amperage. You have to look for the "combined" 12v wattage and divide by 12v. Your hiper supplies 29A/350W at 12v.

2>The high currents you see are at the GPU. And that runs at 1.4v in 3D, so the wattage is what? 30x1.4=42w as far as you PSU is concerned at 12v that's 3.5A

Soldato
fornowagain said:
On my way out so can't explain in detail. You may know this already, but..

1> You can't just add the two 12v PSU rails together to get the true amperage. You have to look for the "combined" 12v wattage and divide by 12v. Your hiper supplies 29A/350W at 12v.

2>The high currents you see are at the GPU. And that runs at 1.4v in 3D, so the wattage is what? 30x1.4=42w as far as you PSU is concerned at 12v that's 3.5A

Correct, and ATi Tool isnt something new to most of us here :D

Just need a new version to sort 2D/3D clocks :eek:

Back
Top Bottom