Old school strong men

Suspended
Check some of these old timer's out, they were seriously strong, all without the help of steroids. Especially look at the profile of Kate "Vulcana" Roberts, one very strong women!

This is also for all those who say massive levels of strength cannot be reached without anabolic assistance.

http://www.bigsteel.iwarp.com/photo2.html

Last edited:
Soldato
Very impressive..and I guess you are reffering to the other thread where Mariusz is featured :D

Of course amazing strength is achievable without anabolic assistance..However amazing strength and a physique such as Mariusz has cannot be achieved without anabolic assistance.

In order to gain massive amounts of strength you need to firstly have the genetic propensity to put muscle on and for it to be useable (Low insertion points and long muscle belly length help a muscle lift more for e.g).This without doubt Mariusz has.

Secondly you need to consume far more calories than you use whilst bulking up and working out.This adds a good layer of fat on top of big muscles.That Mariusz has a very low bodyfat level and[/] huge muscle size even in his off season simply cannot be done naturally.

Anyhoo back to the original link you've provided..serious stuff there..it's a shame these type of lifts and events aren't more popular :D

axe

axe

Suspended
Louis Cyr was probably the strongest man of the 19th century. He had more strength in one finger than most men have in their whole body. He lifted 551 pounds with 1 finger. His back lift of 3635 pounds performed routinely at shows probably was not broken until Paul Anderson did back lifts, 60 years later.

:eek:

Soldato
On a slightly different note, I saw an indian/pakistani guy in town the other day with an absolutely huge upper body! His chest and shoulders were so big he looked like he was doing some robotica moves or something! I couldn't help but crack up at his stupidly disproportionate body and his apparant coolness :rolleyes:. He looked like a faggot. ;) His legs however were normal which made me laugh even more, I assumed that in order to get such ludicrous proportions one would have to be on steroids, which made me laugh even more.

The question is, is it likely he was on the roids?

Hmm, random post over.

Man of Honour
axe said:

I was just about to quote that from the OP's origional website.

Sorry, but 551lbs by one finger is just utter rubbish. That is just impossible.

That amount of mass could possibly have been supported by one finger while his arm moved that weight, but otherwise I give a huge sceptical "hmmm".

Soldato
Royality said:
On a slightly different note, I saw an indian/pakistani guy in town the other day with an absolutely huge upper body! His chest and shoulders were so big he looked like he was doing some robotica moves or something! I couldn't help but crack up at his stupidly disproportionate body and his apparant coolness :rolleyes:. He looked like a faggot. ;) His legs however were normal which made me laugh even more, I assumed that in order to get such ludicrous proportions one would have to be on steroids, which made me laugh even more.

The question is, is it likely he was on the roids?

Hmm, random post over.

Could have been 'man' implants in his chest, biceps and triceps..... :eek:

Suspended
OP
greenlizard0 said:
I was just about to quote that from the OP's origional website.

Sorry, but 551lbs by one finger is just utter rubbish. That is just impossible.

That amount of mass could possibly have been supported by one finger while his arm moved that weight, but otherwise I give a huge sceptical "hmmm".

He did it, and in front of witnesses. By the way, what you described, is what the finger lift is :p He merely gripped the weight with one finger :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You've got to admire what those guys could achieve, not only without AAS and other chemicals, but without sophisticated dietary knowledge or specially designed gym equipment. They epitomise what is possible with hard work and dedication, though I conceed that genetics played a huge part for strongmen of this era.

Soldato
That's a right good find my friend, iit has some cracking pictures on their. Although the Monsieur Jaeger King does look right dodgy, but on a good side its proberbly the world's first photoshopped picture :p :D

Soldato
This is Herman Gorner. Herman Dead lifted 727.5 pound with one hand to full lockout in 1927. No steroids, no lifting strap, no bull.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One arm deadlift of 730lbs? Yet he has legs like twigs :o

Suspended
OP
carvegio said:
I highly recommend the book dinosaur training, very good read. Also lots of good workout information

I have basically been training like that for a few years now, heavy sand bag work, singles etc. I am naturally pretty strong, but have made massive leaps in my strength, escpecially my grip. Beats doing rubbish like split routines and "ab days" that the pretty boys at my gym do :p

Back
Top Bottom