system/speakers in loft query

Associate
hi guys

im gonna shell out shortley on a new hi fi set up which will prob consist of the following :-

arcam cd73t cd player
rotel ra-03 amplifier
denon tu-1800dab dab tuner

the only prob i can think of i have will be the speakers as my room is in the loft now if i buy standmounts or floormounts surely the sound will be affected as its not a solid floor .

if i was gonna by floorstanders i would prob get the KEF IQ5's but only if the sound wont suffer if i gotta get wallmounts then what does anyone think about the EPOS M12.2's for wallmounting

any advice much appreciated thx

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
I would imagine with a space like a loft, being able to move the speakers is right up there on the scale of importance. The floor should be solid enough to stop them from moving any significant amount.

Why are you going for the Rotel?

Associate
You can get speaker stands that will fill with sand. Just make sure you have a propper suspended floor installed in your loft to take the weight.

Associate
OP
the floor is perfectly strong enough for a few tonnes easy its just that its a hollow floor rather than a concrete floor like a ground floor house living room i would imagine that would effect the sound.

the reason im going with the rotel is that its suposed to be a very good intergrated amp and got rave reviews in what hi fi.its also in a good price range for me dont really wanna spend more than £500 and it wont look out of place under an arcam unit.

im open to other suggestions in its place would be great guys keep em coming :)

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
ozric said:
the floor is perfectly strong enough for a few tonnes easy its just that its a hollow floor rather than a concrete floor like a ground floor house living room i would imagine that would effect the sound.

the reason im going with the rotel is that its suposed to be a very good intergrated amp and got rave reviews in what hi fi.its also in a good price range for me dont really wanna spend more than £500 and it wont look out of place under an arcam unit.

im open to other suggestions in its place would be great guys keep em coming :)

Of all of the amplifiers I have gone to listen to, the only ones that have never, ever made it through a dem are the new Rotel amps. If you listen to classical music, and have warm speakers and a warm CDP, then they become "acceptable" for me (and may others). Coupled with some B&Ws however, and the net result is just "NO" - far, far too bright.

This is why, despite What HiFi being a joke anyway, that you cannot build a system on reviews alone. From listening to one, I would never class the Rotel as "listenable" never mind rave reviews. Rotel are trading on the excellent kit they released years ago but currently producing rubbish (to my ears). They also have a colossal advertising budget, which makes Mr What HiFi rather happy indeed ;)

For £500, you could possibly get yourself (s/h) a Naim Nait 5i, a Musical Fidelity A3.2, Arcam Delta pre/power/monoblocks (possibly!), Audiolab 8000 pre/power etc etc, all which, from both what I have heard and what others tell me, all wipe the floor with all Rotel amps in the past 10 years at this price.

Soldato
Rotel amps scare me :(

Get a 2nd hand Cyrus 7 amp, and a Cyrus CDP (i don't know models of these as i've not really looked into them). Either that or go with DRZ's advice :)

Associate
OP
looks like im gonna have to have a rethink then lol thx for the input guys much appreciated
must admit i do like the look of the naim stuff shame theyre abit out of the budget range :(

also if u dont mind me asking what system do u guys have?

Last edited:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
There is a biiiiig sticky at the top of the page with all of our kit in...

I have a Musical Fidelity A3CR Preamp feeding an NAD C272 power amp driving Mission M35i speakers :)

Associate
OP
ive been looking at the niam kit and i love the stuff,its great looking equipment shame its a bit outta my price range even the lowest end stuff :(

Naim Nait 5i Integrated Amplifier - £699
Naim cd51 cd player - £825
Kef iq5's - £399

so realistically its gonna have to be the arcam kit

Arcam CD73T CD Player - £419
Arcam A80 Amplifier - £629
Kef iq5's - £399

i would like matching equipment if poss anyone suggest any other spec for £1500 max thx in advance :)

Soldato
You have gone for a demo haven't you? Buying blind at this price level would be stupid. Also, you can buy these items second hand and save a lot of money.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Look at the Mission M35i next to the iQ5s if you can find a pair *anywhere*!

I only suggested the Naim Nait 5i because you can get it in your budget for ~£500ish s/h - For this money I would look to the second hand market - let others take that depreciation hit, amps are fairly hard to damage and at this level, they dont get much abuse :)

Back
Top Bottom