• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X850XT locks up

Associate
Hi folks, just wondered if you could shed any light on a problem I have encountered recently with the X850XT (AGP) that's in my machine.

Like I said it's only started happening within the last week or so, and I've had the card since March.

It seems that when I am playing games (anything from sin episodes to cod2) the game locks up on me and the sound stutters, and I have to reset the machine. This lock up seems to happen within about 5 mins of gameplay as well.

At first I thought it was overheating (I haven't got the best case Coolermaster Centurian 2), but now I'm thinking otherwise, after I have swapped the heatsink and fan with a vga silencer which I also bought with the card.

I've tried the latest cats and older versions, with still the same symptoms. I'm thinking I may take it back on Saturday, but wanted to know if anyone could suggest anything.

My temps in ATITool btw are around 35 when idle, and get to around 70 when running for around 30 mins.

Associate
mine started doing that after about 6 months. it was overclocked 20mhz on the core and nothing on the memory. i had to reduce the card to stock speeds to get it stable again although it used to be fine :(

Soldato
Hi KevinCB,

That sounds really strange for a card that i assume is running at standard clocks! I've got an x850xt too. I put an arctic cooler 5 rev. 2 on and got idle temps of 30 degrees C and load temps that max at 52 degrees C. Plus, that's with the clocks at 621/596! :cool:

Maybe you could underclock it to see if it stabilises - although even if it did stabilise i wouldn't be happy i was running a card i'd paid good money for below stock settings!

Seems to me that your card needs RMA'ing. Just make sure to get that original heatsink back on!!! ;) :p

Associate
OP
Yep I am running this at stock speeds (520 Core/540 Memory).

I think I might take it back and get it swapped, it has been running fine for two months, its only just this week that it has started showing these symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom