Need a car for the wife - suggestions please !

Associate
Mrs P is going back to work and needs a run around - I think she is hitting the Female equivalent of a MLC so would like something small, fun, nippy, and preferable with a soft top type thing. Budget is £7.5k. Second hand, up to 3/4 years old, under 35k miles, 4 seats an advantage but not essential..

Almost had a bite at a smart roadster that had been chipped and modded ;) or thinking poss a 206 cabriolet ?

Any ideas much welcomed !

Associate
Don't get a 206 cab, they are terrible.

Get an MX-5 and put a private plate on it if shes worried about it looking old, It's so much better even thou it's a little bit older.

Soldato
Unless your Mrs. is an avid driver and/or a petrol head, she'll probably like it. However, it is French and it'll probably have "issues". Unfortunately however, there's little in the way of competition to it in that price range.

My advice would be to go out with her and drive one, then go and drive an MX-5 just as a comparison.

Soldato
They're a car designed as a small hardtop hatchback, that's had a tin-opener taken to it.

Therefore it'll have the driving dynamics of an opened can of peaches.

An MX-5 is designed from the ground-up as an open top sports car, has the right engine/transmission layout (front engined rear wheel drive), and is by far the best handling car in it's class.

Associate
Sneaky Peaky said:
Why are they terrible ?

Roofs are known for being problimatic, they were designed from the normal 206 and because of this they are a normal hatchback which has been modded to be a convertable.

Drivers position I found terrible, ride quality was poor and the sporty petrol engines seem to drink petrol. Handleing didn't feel very responsive, one of the criteria was "fun" didn't seem fun to me, seemed like driving a normal 206 but a little more cramped.

They should have removed the 2 seats from the back and made the drivers position better imho. Back seats are next to pointless while getting in and out of them is another mission in it's self.

Plus it's a Peugeot thus the materials they use are plasticy and cheap, probibly not that reliable and bits of trim may well fall off.

All that said they do look ok from the outside.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info :)

Just had a quick look and could get an 03 MGTF 160 for about that money.
I used to have one for a while early on in my MLF and thought it was quite well put together and a lot of fun. Anyone else any views and experience of these or any other suggestions..

Soldato
Sneaky Peaky said:
Thanks for the info :)

Just had a quick look and could get an 03 MGTF 160 for about that money.
I used to have one for a while early on in my MLF and thought it was quite well put together and a lot of fun. Anyone else any views and experience of these or any other suggestions..

checked out a copen? :)

Caporegime
vanpeebles said:
checked out a copen? :)
Value for money isnt bad, but OMG ugly! Looks like a cross between a modern VW beetle, and a squished Audi TT. Hateful looks.

copen_3.jpg

Soldato
Sneaky Peaky said:
yeah I did have a quick look - looks fun but I'll probably get to drive it on occasion and driving in a balaclava in the summer might be a bit too warm ;)

Thanks for the suggestion though - never even heard of them before..!

ppfffp you would have loved it, turbo fun and tons of jap tuning parts :)

Back
Top Bottom