Leon Cupra - what to look out for?

Associate
Seriously considering getting one of these (Cupra R 225 version) but just wondering what to look out for when viewing one? Apart from interior/exterior condition, tyres, brakes, suspension.

Any suggestions?

Paradigm?

Associate
Waterpump (ideally needs a new one with metal impellor). Fails typically around 30k. Common VAG problem, not restricted to Seats.

Bosch DV is crap generally, Forge do the 007p to replace it, it will last longer. I still have the Bosch, seems ok, but then mines not chipped yet. Bout £25 for a Bosch or about £90 for a Forge. Common VAG problem, not restricted to Seats.

Door seals, not a common problem but do check the carpet for dampness. This issue may have been fixed before the R came out.

Coil packs, these have been revised and have a 5 year warranty from when the car was new. Depending on the age, it may have the new ones already. Bout £25 each. Keep one in the car, it's easy to change and the AA etc do not carry them as spares. This is a common VAg fault, not restricted to Seats.

MAF, these have a fairly high failure rate. They usually last a long time until you fit the wrong type of induction/air filter. You MUST have a dry filter system (sponge) because oils and other contaminents will kill the MAF. Again, common VAG problem.

Paint on Brembo brakes can fade to pink if acidic cleaners are used. Also if brake fluid is spilled on them (as often happens during services). The paint is not covered under warranty.

Stonechips, as with most modern car is a problem. Most cars have water based paint and they can chip easily. Worst colours are black and extreme blue. Chips in black can be seen easily, Blue chips the easiest of all colours.

Recommended tyres are the Eagle F1 GSD1's. Expensive and don't last all that long. Worth it though.

Brakes and pads are expensive! Keep that in mind.

Service costs aren't too bad, the 40k one is one of the more expensive (about £300 i think).

Should average about 32 to the gallon, as low as 15 witha good thrashing. Have seen 40 to the gallon on the M/way (with aircon on).

If you get one, get VAG Com. You can enable a few features such as Auto Door Locking.

Cruise control can be added if you find a decent dealer. Costs about £300. You can do it yourself, you need a stalk with the controls, the loom and Vag Com.

S3 strut brace can be fitted, if you remove the engine cover.

Revo or Jabba offer the best chipping/tuning.

Blueflame or Miltek are recommended for exhausts.

Rear suspension top mounts can rattle. If you give them a blast from under the rear arch with a jetwash, it may stop for a while. This can be done under warranty.

There are some common squeaks and rattles. They all usually have easy fixes.

You can get rear spacers to improve the look of the back wheels. Makes a cosmetic difference only, but does help the looks.

Will keep adding as I remember.

Last edited:
Soldato
[SKR]Phoenix said:
Paint on Brembo brakes can fade to pink if acidic cleaners are used. Also if brake fluid is spilled on them (as often happens during services). The paint is not covered under warranty.

Recommended tyres are the Eagle F1 GSD1's. Expensive and don't last all that long. Worth it though.

The rears go pink too, mine certainly are.

The F1's are great, improve the grip no end, had mine for about a year and (8000 miles) and they are still ok. About £100 + per tyre.

Associate
OP
Just seen they have 3pt rear seatbelts - not sure how this is gonna work with my sprog's car seat :(

Agree, good tyre's are a must - as it's what keeps you on the road!

Edit: Panic over, the car seat manufacturer's website says the seat fits :)

Last edited:
Associate
Rudeboy said:
Whats a VAG Com?

A combination of cable/interface and software. Allows full diagnostic of most VAG engines cars. Skoda, Seat, Audi and VW. Lets you check everything is working ok, lets you enable and disable features etc.

Associate
OP
Firestar_3x said:
:confused: What you been fixing it in with before, a lapstrap?

No, just as normal, just having a dumb moment. Thought 3pt was like racing 5pt harnesses! :rolleyes:

Edit: Are Trackers standard, as I'm led to believe? If the previous owner hasn't bothered with the subscription (or however it's done) is it easy to reimburse?

Last edited:
Soldato
weeble said:
No, just as normal, just having a dumb moment. Thought 3pt was like racing 5pt harnesses! :rolleyes:

Edit: Are Trackers standard, as I'm led to believe? If the previous owner hasn't bothered with the subscription (or however it's done) is it easy to reimburse?

Some of the LCR's have trackers as standard yep. Head over tot he seat forums theres loads of info there mate. http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/

Soldato
weeble said:

I had a Tracker with my VR6 and it was £150 to have it checked out again as the subs hadn't been paid. With my LCR I believe as it's standard I have to pay for it, for insurance reasons.

Associate
OP
Forgot to thank Phoenix - his guide's proving very useful.

Gooner14 said:
I had a Tracker with my VR6 and it was £150 to have it checked out again as the subs hadn't been paid. With my LCR I believe as it's standard I have to pay for it, for insurance reasons.

How did the VR6 compare to your LCR? Had a Corrado VR6 a few years back and was good fun, although it torque steered like mad, even after modding the suspension (which did improve it).

Caporegime
You wont be disappointed, however do factor in a decent budget for replacing consumables! After a billy today for front discs and pads, rear pads, and two front tyres, I was left a little lighter in the wallet!

Back
Top Bottom