Cheapskate Athlon xp solution?

Associate
Hey all

Query regarding possibly setting up a machine at my country pile (my Gran's). Won't be using it a huge amount so want to get it on the fairly cheap. Don't need anything too fancy but obviously don't want it to be a total dog.

Seen a bundle being sold on a, umm, rival site. Don't think I'm allowed to say which one. Price of £90 for an Athlon XP 2800 m, an (unspecified) socket 754 nf3 mobo and 256mb ram.

Not too expert about XPs, so questions are, in your opinions:

a) is this a good deal?
b) how does the XP2800 compare with the 3000 venice and is it worth the saving?
c) would it, when combined with more memory and a cheap (£50ish hopefully) graphics card be up to running, say, Doom3, Quake4, HL2? Oh, and can you suggest a gfx card at this price please?
d) anyone got any better ideas for anything this price?

Thanks anyone

Last edited:
Soldato
For normal computing tasks the XP2800+ is more than capable, and gaming should be ok with a decent gfx card. £50 should get you a used 9800 Pro or Gefroce FX 5900 which should play the games you want at modest settings.

Associate
itll be ok, i think if you looked around though you will be able to get a 6600gt probably, then i woulda thought you would be able to play all those games ok.

Soldato
PeteLucky7 said:
{snip}Price of £90 for an Athlon XP 2800 m, an (unspecified) socket 754 nf3 mobo {snip}
:confused: or do you mean Sempron 2800+? No XP's even M (mobile) on Socket 754, see ;)

EDIT: If your gran's like your retreat or get away place, PC = more stress, make u anti-social to your fams, etc. Get a handheld console or something like an iPod if you really want to kill time/etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Should I ignore this then?

Product Details

Athlon XP 2800+ Skt 754 / 256MB / Motherboard Kit

Processor: AMD Athlon XP-M 2800+ Processor + Heatsink and Fan
Memory: 256MB DDR 400 (PC3200) Branded Memory
Motherboard: ECS NFORCE3-A*

Chipset: NVIDIA nForce3
Memory: 2xDDR400
Onboard Graphics: No onboard graphics (requires AGP graphics card)
Onboard Sound: 5.1 Surround Sound 6 Channel Audio
Onboard LAN: 10/100
Form Factor: ATX
*Motherboard is subject to change according to availability for an equal or better specification/manufacturer

Edit: Yeah but I think she also wants to be a silver surfer/netgran/whatever the Daily Mail calls them now.

Last edited:
Soldato
PeteLucky7 said:
ok have been lazy and asked them rather than googling it as any normal person would..
:confused: did you check out the link i gave earlier? 'tis the reason i said most likely a typo. if they tell u exact same thing as listed, then i would not take the risk of buying it unless i can see/test the actual stuff 1st.

Associate
OP
Yep I checked the link you posted and you're correct, defo doesn't show up there (as you said, no socket 754 xp's).

Really annoying me now though cos I think I'm missing some bargain.

Back
Top Bottom