A-level exams. Hurt hand

Associate
My sister has an exam next friday, but this week she cut her writing hand deeply, to the bone practically, needing stitches.

So she went to the school and said if its possible to extend the time slightly to accomodate her.

They told her no, and that she has 2 options.
To not take the exam at all.
To get someone to write for her.

So i just would like to know what are the rules concerning these situations.
We can obviously get a GP letter confirming it but its plain to see her hand is cut deeply but she can still write with it, just maybe not for 2 hours continuously or too quickly.

What to do?

Last edited:
Soldato
It depends on what exam surely?

In high school I remember a similar incident, and the child in question had to tell a teacher what to write/spellings and such while sat next to them in a seperate room. I don't feel you could do your best in that situation though.

Soldato
Phone the exam board for advise, maybe they can arrange for her to sit the exam at a different centre, where provisions to cater for her injury may be more forthcomming

Associate
OP
Psypher5 said:
It depends on what exam surely?

In high school I remember a similar incident, and the child in question had to tell a teacher what to write/spellings and such while sat next to them in a seperate room. I don't feel you could do your best in that situation though.

Psychology exam. so plenty of essay writing.

Associate
well, at my school something similar happened, they got to use computer with extended time (with letters from drs etc) [at least im pretty sure thats what happened]

Soldato
spirit said:
well, at my school something similar happened, they got to use computer with extended time (with letters from drs etc) [at least im pretty sure thats what happened]

This happened in my school when my friend couldnt write, he had to have someone from the exam board come in a few weeks before to asses him, but he was allowed to use a laptop to type all of his exams.

Associate
OP
Well i found some info on the edxcel webpage where it says the head of centre can give upto 25% extra time without needing to apply to the examining board if there's a disability.
And can provide rest breaks if needed

I think the school is just being a ****.

Associate
Broke my arm for my GCSEs, had a scribe to write my answers for me... Whats the problem with that? As long as it isn't a language paper (I had predicted grades for french writing/reading exams).

Didn't hinder my performance at all.

Soldato
When I did my English GCSE Resit at the start of my Alevels I broke my right hand . In the end I had to have someone write for me :( but the time limit was extended.

But t was one of the worst things i;ve had to do, its just not the same trying to dictate everything your wanting to write.

Nix

Nix

Soldato
I had 6 hours worth of a-level exams in the same day. It hurts your hand... yes :p

TBH, I think the extension is more down to the exam board than the school itself isn't it? I can't imagine doing my best if I'm telling someone what to write. Thoughts would come less fluently I would imagine. Is she not able to say, type it on a laptop or something and have spell check etc disabled?

Soldato
I cut my thumb really badly a month or 2 before my GCSEs, and severed a few tendons in it. I got a doctor's note which meant I could have extra time or rest breaks in each exam involving writing. Luckily I had good physio and it was ok for the exams so I didn't need the extra time.

Soldato
ballistic said:
how did she hurt her wrist... i mean her hand? ;)
Dude . . . That's wrong on so many levels.

I'v recently asked for concession within the exams and they're allowing me a short supervised break, internally of course.

As said the school is being a pain.

I have a Psychology exam next week, 3 hours :(

Soldato
They should be able to offer her extra time. I get 25% extra time for each of my exams because i'm visually impaired which means it takes me much longer reading and writing neatly. In saying that though I rarely use it and in most exams i'm finished before any of the normal people in my class.

Back
Top Bottom