One reason a smoking ban in clubs is bad

Associate
According to a few Norwegian people at work, Norway has banned smoking in night clubs - Good idea you many think? That was until they told me that once you eliminate smoke from room, one smell suddenly becomes very apparent – sweat.

I hadn't really thought about this before, but smoke really does mask practically every smell. Every summer i have to endure maybe 30 minutes a day of being squashed against sweaty people on the tube. Now imagine all those sweaty people, drunk and dancing around for several hours in the same confined space.

I guess it won't be so bad for huge clubs, but the kind of places i go on a friday night are little more than cellars with a couple bars and DJ.

Can't say i'm looking forward to all the BO.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Wash and use deodourant you smelly clubbers!

edit: Come to think of it, if a club or pub smells of sweat because the smoke no longer masks the aroma, do you really want to visit the place anyway. Perhaps the owners will invest in cleaners and make sure the place smells nice for their customers.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Worthy said:
Oh get over yourself. You can't seriously believe that passive smoke from going to a club once or twice a week will give you cancer?
The medical community will disagree with you.

Associate
Worthy said:
Oh get over yourself. You can't seriously believe that passive smoke from going to a club once or twice a week will give you cancer?
Breathing 8 hours worth of smoke? Eh, it probably could give you cancer actually. And what about the bar and floor staff working in the clubs?

Anyway, in Ireland a lot of pubs put candles on the tables to get rid of unpleasant smells. As for the nightclubs, I can't say I noticed any particularly bad smells. For a start, there's often a strong smell of booze. Better air conditioning systems also help, as does a doorman turning away people who couldn't be bothered to put on a clean shirt (in Ireland at least you can't go into most nightclubs wearing runners, tracksuits and jerseys).

And speaking of smells, at least your clothes don't smell like an ashtray the following day!

Associate
Worthy said:
Yes, and they will also say we can't drink orange juice, because apparently that causes cancer now too doesn't it?
Worthy, are you trolling or are you naturally thick? Millions of people don't die each year from drinking orange juice.

Back
Top Bottom