Oh look another "help me choose a new car" thread

Associate
Thread title says it all really.
Bit of background, this is going to be a company car, so my choice is limited, manufacturer and cost wise (think £350 pcm including maintenance on a 3 year 25k miles pa contract).

Things to bear in mind, I'm 6'4", and currently drive a mk3 mondeo, which I like and would otherwise be hanging on to for another year or two. That said I would like something smaller* for ease of parking where I live.

I've already had a look around and have something approaching a short list so I'm after opinions from owners or not. On to the List, with some comments;

Seat

New Leon 2.0 TDI Sport (plenty of toys, not that sure about the interior space, need to have another sit in this one).
Altea 2.0 TDI Sport (plenty of toys, but not as many as the leon, but is it just a bit too mini MPV?)

VW

Jeta 2.0TDI Sport (nearly as big as the mondy, not as well equipped as
the Seat)
Golf 1.9 TDI SE (not as well equipped as the Seat)

Skoda

Octavia 2.0TDI Elegance (Lots of toys, nearly as big as the mondy)

Ford

Focus TDCI Titanium (I don't like the focus. odd as I really like the mondy)

BMW

118d MSport (not a clue how they do this for the lease cost, not supposed to have much rear leg room at all. Won't be far off poverty spec)

Help !

*Yes I know the Jeta and Octavia are not that much smaller than the mondy.

Man of Honour
Hmmm thats a tough choice.

Off that list, I'd chose the Focus but you don't like it so we'll move on.

The Seats, usually my recommendation but what on EARTH is going on with the latest styling, they all look like MPV's.

The VW's - no brianer here, go for the Jetta. Looks better, better specified.

But which would I chose? If I could stand the looks (Not love them, simply stand them) I'd probably be chosing the BMW 118d M-Sport - it's not a poverty spec model if it actually IS the M-Sport, you'll get the bear essentials like climate, cruise etc. Handles amazingly well, is properly built, but the 118d isn't THAT fast and the styling is horrid.

So, Jetta or 118d for me, I'd have the 118d if I could stand the way it looked.

Soldato
The Golf 1.9TDI SE is likely the 103bhp model (they went through a phase of calling the 140 the 2.0TDI), although it has as much torque as a BMW 325i, it doesn't have the power of the Jetta. The Jetta will be better specced too and has the much needed Sport pack.

The Seat's won't feel as polished as the VW's which would rule them out for me.

The Skoda is the same as the Jetta, but you may as well have the VW badge if it's not going to cost you any more :).

I spent a few days driving a the new Focus around and wasn't really a fan. Which is strange as I loved the old model.

The BMW M-Sport will still have a fair bit of kit, I can't see it being that far off the competition. It will have the least leg room, particularly in the back. The M-Sport pack will give it some nice touches like the Sports bumpers which makes its looks near acceptable. Will be the best of the bunch to drive. That said, I still think the Mk5 Golf is pretty uber to drive, so the Jetta should be a hoot too.

Associate
OP
Ok, had a wander round a couple of dealers today...

Jeta, looks nicer in the flesh than I thought it would, specification £ for £ not as good as the Seat's or the Octavia.

Golf, cramped in the back, if your behind a 6 footer. However the Golf Plus isn't as lardy looking in the flesh as in the pictures, has the same "mini-MPV" problem as the Altea though.

BMW 1 series, just how do you get adults in the back? real shame I can't stretch the budget to a 3 series though :(

Just need to have a proper look at the Octavia, I'm not that much of a badge snob as to turn down a better spec'd skoda for the lesser spec'd VW. Well at least I hope I'm not ;)

Opinions on the Golf Plus and Octavia welcomed.

Associate
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Is that really all thats on the list?

No, the list is governed by cost, insurance group and manufacturer.

Cost, £350 pcm including maintenance contract
Insurance group, <11
Manufacturers, Ford, Vauxhall, Skoda, VW, Audi, Seat, BMW.

The list is what I've narrowed it down to, based on my needs. Must fit a 6'4" driver and still be able to (occasionally) carry adults in the back, would prefer something shorter than the mondy, but still need a half decent boot (hence the Golf+ & Altea been on the list).

Back
Top Bottom