Eclipse Question

Associate
Up until Monday morning i have been able to upload torrents at 448kb/s,my bittornado seed light was green but now i can only upload at 7kb/s and the yellow light is showing,i have altered nothing and it is saying that i am behind a firewall or my ports need forwarded,these i have done already,i am on ecilpse evo 4 package,my 10 day training period is up on friday and i have phoned eclipse and they say nothing has changed could it be BT.I have tried various torrent sites and all showing the same.My router is a netgear dg834.Any ideas would be helpful.

Associate
OP
i signed up last tuesday,everything has been fine but all of a sudden torrents do not seed properly,i phoned tech support and they say nothing has changed their end,but i know nothing has altered my end,something fishy going on maybe.

Soldato
Nothing wrong here with speeds, uploading @ 40k+ atm...

Make sure your local ip address hasn't changed from the address that you forwarded the ports to, also make sure you've opened the firewall on the pc to allow that port though.

Clients like Azureus have a NAT tester to make sure you've got the ports opened/forwarded correctly, but it's sometimes a bit flacky.

Associate
Thankfully Eclipse now have got their traffic shaping sorted and are now throttling p2p users, before they did this the browsing speeds in the evening were truly woeful.

Now, with the traffic shaping in place things are much better as the bandwidth hogs on p2p/usenet/ftp are getting shaped. Hopefully it will stay that way too

Soldato
Spudgun said:
Thankfully Eclipse now have got their traffic shaping sorted and are now throttling p2p users, before they did this the browsing speeds in the evening were truly woeful.

Now, with the traffic shaping in place things are much better as the bandwidth hogs on p2p/usenet/ftp are getting shaped. Hopefully it will stay that way too
:rolleyes: :(
we are so sorry mr goody twoshoes :D
anyway if people useup ther download quota they are capped to 256(i think this is what happens)i always cut my dl during peak to about 50k anyway

Caporegime
You think thats bad since Sat here ive been getting 0.1k upload, and 5k or less down on Tiscali, migration time me thinks, my mate who i said to try Eclipse is gona move from them now, hes only been with em a few weeks, said they were brilliant at first, but the throttling and traffic shaping they have brought in is 24/7. :(

Soldato
If you want to save a few quid you could use their free month offer:

Try Eclipse for a month absolutely FREE with no obligation, no hidden catches and no switching fee (normally £11).

MaxDSL hasn't been perfect but I've got no reason to switch as I don't do any heavy downloading at peak periods.

I haven't experienced any 24/7 shaping/throttling though, can easily hit 400KB/s+ on BitTorrent and USENET during the day :confused:

Soldato
Well, I spoke too soon.. :(

My torrent speeds have taken a nose dive, my maximum dowload speed is 20K/s and my upload speed is all over the place.

It seems to be 24/7 too as i set off a download last night and it's not gone over 20K/s. The same torrent gets to over 300K/s on another connection i have access to - so i know it's not the torrent in question.

I've sent off a ticket to Technical support about it, I'm not paying £29.99 for option 4 just to be shaped up the ringer.. If i don't get a suitable answer i'll just downgrade to option 1 and save myself £15/month and look for somewhere else to go in the mean time.

Newsgroups are unaffected from external sources and run at full speed, it's just torrents that are buggered..

Soldato
hominid said:
Well, I spoke too soon.. :(

My torrent speeds have taken a nose dive, my maximum dowload speed is 20K/s and my upload speed is all over the place.

I've got a couple going at a total of about 240-260KB/s at the moment, hard to tell whether it's down to the connection or average seeding.

That's with encryption enabled though, have you got it enabled on yours?

Soldato
Phil99 said:
I've got a couple going at a total of about 240-260KB/s at the moment, hard to tell whether it's down to the connection or average seeding.

That's with encryption enabled though, have you got it enabled on yours?

Mine was fine the other day, 200-300K+, my previous post was a mention of that - it's changed in the last day or so since I last used it. I've tried encryption in both Azueus and Utorrent with similar results - 20K/s maximum throughput. If i run both utorrent and Azureus at the same time the total combined download speed is 20K/s from both programs, so i'm 99% sure it's being shaped!!!

I pay for option4, which is a 50Gb peak time allowance. So far I'd say I've used <10Gb on peak(That's probably double the actual figure) and <30Gb off peak. If I'd done that on peak then I could see the issue, but they've made the distinction on there web page and therefor I schedule large downloads to happen after midnight as it wasn't urgent.

Soldato
hominid said:
Mine was fine the other day, 200-300K+, my previous post was a mention of that - it's changed in the last day or so since I last used it. I've tried encryption in both Azueus and Utorrent with similar results - 20K/s maximum throughput. If i run both utorrent and Azureus at the same time the total combined download speed is 20K/s from both programs, so i'm 99% sure it's being shaped!!!

I pay for option4, which is a 50Gb peak time allowance. So far I'd say I've used <10Gb on peak(That's probably double the actual figure) and <30Gb off peak. If I'd done that on peak then I could see the issue, but they've made the distinction on there web page and therefor I schedule large downloads to happen after midnight as it wasn't urgent.

I'll have to keep an eye out for that, I'm on Option 3 and haven't really noticed any drop in P2P other than maybe a couple of nights during the peak periods.

Associate
i've switched from Flex1000 to Evo3 and had no net for 6 days and my speeds are WOEFUL, p2p is a joke...throttled to 20k down...intermittent discons all the time been with Eclipse over 3 years now but i will be requesting my MAC on monday and hopefully migrate over to nildram or another reputable ISP.

Soldato
:(
The Deuce said:
i've switched from Flex1000 to Evo3 and had no net for 6 days and my speeds are WOEFUL, p2p is a joke...throttled to 20k down...intermittent discons all the time been with Eclipse over 3 years now but i will be requesting my MAC on monday and hopefully migrate over to nildram or another reputable ISP.

got to agree with you mate am considering doing the same been about 3 weeks since i upgrade ?????? to max :(
downloads via p2p are pitiful will be thinking VERY carefully about changing ISP now :mad:

Soldato
I've just been downloading a couple of torrents, they seemed to be capped at 30KB/s until my line dropped sync and it shot up to 400KB/s when it reconnected...

I'm hoping there's just a misconfiguration on one of the gateways rather them gradually limiting P2P on all of them :(

Associate
OP
Phoned Eclipse yesterday about the diabolical speeds,they say they do not throttle torrents and that it is a problem on their end and that they are trying to solve the issue.If it does not get any better i am off and i have only been with them two and a half weeks.I am only getting between 30kb/s and 38kb/s on torrent downloads and all that for £29.99 (YEAH I AGREE RIPOFF) and that is for their best home service EVO 4.

Soldato
Over 110 seeds connected on 2 torrents and I have a combined download of 30KB/s... (Ubuntu CD and DVD)

Interestingly my http speeds are a lot better though:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=114815937593674021627

http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/results.php?t=1148159809&v=61248

Newsgroups still max out @ 540KB/s

This is potentially a good thing with the limiting of P2P during peak periods

I can't see why they'd have a reason to limit P2P between Midnight and 9am at the most.

Back
Top Bottom