Book's

Soldato
Looking to get back into reading used to enjoy it when i was 10-13 ish looking for something to read at work/onbus etc i have no idea which books are good and thought this may be a good place to ask i like fantasy stuff and i like mystery also. Dont say LOTR its to big and ive seen the films so cba cheers in advance.

Associate
SexyBetty said:
John Grisham is pretty awesome, its mostly crime though :)

lawyer drivel isnt it..
I donno go down to local library walk around pick random books see what takes your fancy, thats what i used to do, now i just steal stuff from my sister :}

Soldato
Just been reading Bernard Cornwell's "the last kingdom" and "the pale horseman", first one was superb, I've just started the second and it's just as good if not better. I think he wrote the Sharpe books and he does tell a great story brilliantly.

Soldato
The dark tower by Stephen King
seven books long but a great read imho
book1-07.jpg

www.thedarktower.net

Associate
Pratchett books are always good commute books :)

Not really mystery but some good crime authors are Karin Slaughter, Kathy Reich, Nicci French and Minette Walters.

You also might want to look at Kelley Armstrong and Laurell K Hamilton.

SCM

SCM

Associate
Terry Brooks Shannara series are a good read and I am impatiently waiting on the new pre Shannara book about the aftermath of the great war.

Another vote for Terry Prattchet as a good read and very funny as well.

The late great Douglas Adams and the Hitch hikers books are another good read.

SCM

Associate
David Gemmell: A lot of his books are self-contained novels and are pretty easy reading, and are rarely over 500 pages. It makes a change from normal fantasy fare as he is not afraid to kill off major characters fairly frequently.

Robin Hobb: The Assassin series is very good, with some excellent characterisation.

David Eddings: The Belgariad is a nice light fantasy, also with good charcters.

Just for a change, I've started reading Patrick O' Brian's 'Master and Commander' books, I'm enjoying them so far. There's a fair bit of nautical jargon to get your head around though.

I believe the GD sticky has some book recommendations too.

Back
Top Bottom