Gym Membership

Soldato
I've just been on 4 different gym websites looking for prices to join and can I find anything that remotely looks like a number????? NO :rolleyes:

They just all have forms with 'contact us' on them. I don't want some sales person calling, trying to flog me what I don't need.

Rant over.

Soldato
They would only try and flog you gym membership and presumably thats what you need if youre looking for it :dunno:

Just go a couple of diff gyms and have a look..You have to check out the gym before you join anyway.

Soldato
Charlie Bravo said:
I'm just a bit wary of gyms as I had a bad experience with Fitness First. I won't go into it but they were useless.

I just don't see why they can't publish the prices.

Lots of them have tons of special deals, different rates, contract length dependant prices etc etc etc...These days gyms have to be extremely competitive and able to compromise on price...

Just call them and speak to someone, or go to the gym and look/ask...like normal people :o

Associate
Charlie Bravo said:
I'm just a bit wary of gyms as I had a bad experience with Fitness First. I won't go into it but they were useless.

I just don't see why they can't publish the prices.

Charlie, I live in Luton too and I was looking for a gym sometime ago. I was going to go for Living Well but they quoted me £48 after they showed me round. I'm not sure if it's still around but there is a run down looking gym in Cheap Side, (Yes this is really the name of the area people :p ) at the back on the Arndale Centre, I would imagine they're pretty cheap. Then there is Bodylines on Guildford Street, opposite Cheap Side, I've heard they're £30 a month with a £30 joining fee.

Suspended
I managed to get mine to waive the joining fee of £80 or so - said I'm perfectly willing to pay subscription but am not paying £80 to have my name put onto a database. They went with it.

Soldato
OP
Alchemy & Chronos X, thanks for your comments.....

Balddog, thanks for trying your best to have a dig of some sort. I'd like to point out that I am normal and always have been but thanks for your concern.
Whilst I understand that they have to be competitive, I don't want to make endless phonecalls thanks. OcUK has to be competitive but it doesn't say "call us" under each product does it. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Charlie Bravo said:
Balddog, thanks for trying your best to have a dig of some sort. I'd like to point out that I am normal and always have been but thanks for your concern.

I think Baldy's main point (put accross in his usual unsympathetic ;) way) was, you can't choose a gym from a website. You need to go there and take a look around. You're going to be paying a fair bit of cash, and going there several times a week (i hope). Just going for the "cheapest" won't necessarily be the best way of selecting

Soldato
I know for a fact the gym I work in doesn't want me to give prices over the phone. The reasoning is I suppose that you can just hang up the phone whereas it's much harder to say no face to face.

Then again I think it's definitely a good idea to look around all the gyms before you decide anyway. Just get ready to say no to a lot of people and keep looking!

Soldato
OP
Thanks people. I would no doubt go and take a look, I just wanted to avoid the really expensive places as I have no intention of forking out large sums.

Fitness First (cheap and it shows) is a no go so I may go down to Living Well and David Lloyd Leisure for a gander.

Associate
I would love a membership at David Lloyd, but they look really pricey indeed. By the way is there a Fitness First in Luton? (I know there is one in Dunstable).

Soldato
OP
Alchemy said:
I would love a membership at David Lloyd, but they look really pricey indeed. By the way is there a Fitness First in Luton? (I know there is one in Dunstable).

It's opposite Dunstable Tesco but I was a member just over a year ago and I soon cancelled.
The entertainment bits on the machines were falling apart, some of the machines didn't work etc etc. I emailed cust service and never heard back and I also complained in the gym. I was told to fill out a comment card but nothing ever came of that either.
The guy that sold myself and my then girlfriend the membership, also told us there was a Fitness First near Stansted Airport where we both worked at the time. Turns out the nearest branch was 15 miles away !

It was cheap and it really did show which was a shame as I've been to a couple of other Fitness Firsts and they were fine all be it nowhere near Luton.

Soldato
i currently go to 1 which used to be living well and is now owned by triangle, its quite expensive at 46quid a month, but that gives you full use of tennis and squash courts, gym, swimming pool, sauna, jakkuzi, steam and plunge pool so you get quite a lot of facilities

Soldato
oddjob62 said:
I think Baldy's main point (put accross in his usual unsympathetic ;) way) was, you can't choose a gym from a website. You need to go there and take a look around. You're going to be paying a fair bit of cash, and going there several times a week (i hope). Just going for the "cheapest" won't necessarily be the best way of selecting

sarcasm is for homos...

just like squats

Back
Top Bottom